Ah, one of my favorite subjects. Crap on the beach.![]()
I set up and rent beach chairs in the Seagrove area and I can tell you, it will be a long battle to get folks to pack out what they pack in. Our busiest days are Sundays as everyone checks in on Saturday afternoons and hit the beach for a week starting Sunday. I do my best to politely educate some on proper beach etiquette (a.k.a. common sense), but alas each Sunday a whole new group of wide-eyed folks throng to the shores to leave a brand new mess.
It's gotten to the point that I just don't bother. It only upsets me and I can't, nor do I have the authority, to control anyone. It's the little stuff that gets to me. Beer bottle caps from illegal glass containers, cigarette butts, and plastic wrappers are the most common, but it dismays me that some leave whole tents which have predictably been torn apart from evening storms. Everyone expects the beaches to be nice for them yet many feel or rather don't feel, the duty to make sure it's nice for the next group. Where's the honor these days?![]()
Unfortunately, it's a do unto them before it gets done unto me world these days.

I do my best to politely educate some on proper beach etiquette (a.k.a. common sense), but alas each Sunday a whole new group of wide-eyed folks throng to the shores to leave a brand new mess.
Yesterday I went to Wings around the corner from me and asked the manager guy if he knew how much of the cheap plastic stuff he sells gets discarded on the beach..and if he had any kind of company policy to help clean up the beaches. His answer? "My responsibility ends when the customer hands over his money. No,sorry, we dont have a company policy to help clean up the beaches.Ah, one of my favorite subjects. Crap on the beach.![]()
Everyone expects the beaches to be nice for them yet many feel or rather don't feel, the duty to make sure it's nice for the next group. Where's the honor these days?![]()
Unfortunately, it's a do unto them before it gets done unto me world these days.
Much like the old saying goes: "It's like trying to teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig."

Yesterday I went to Wings around the corner from me and asked the manager guy if he knew how much of the cheap plastic stuff he sells gets discarded on the beach..and if he had any kind of company policy to help clean up the beaches. His answer? "My responsibility ends when the customer hands over his money. No,sorry, we dont have a company policy to help clean up the beaches.
We just returned 9/3 from a week at the beach. The first 4 or 5 days of our trip the only "beach crap" we encountered were the wooden beach chairs and umbrella's set up by the beach service people. They were left through the night all week from Dune Allen down to Old Florida Beach....![]()

You sound very level headed.
It's a shame too because if you ask kids to help clean up the beach they love to do it. It's like a scavenger hunt for them.
I still think that with a couple of years of strict enforcement that word will get around to most people. The TDC may be worried about offending some visitors but in the long run it would be best for us all.