• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
Just a point of clarification that the TDC is not worried about offending visitors in regard to picking up after themselves. We work with all county personnel and our lodging associations to ask them to pass on a myriad of information to their guests including beach cleanliness. We also are eyes on the beach that point out the exact same enforcement issues that are often highlighted on this board. Additionally, we have installed close to 400 trash receptacles on the beach that are emptied daily except in the dead of winter (3-4 times a week), and allocate 1% of the overall TDC budget to Beach Maintenance that includes beach cleaning. Finally, we are the organizers for the International Coastal Clean-up day for South Walton along the beaches, and it's September 16th so come on out!

I am not saying we are perfect and that we get everything off the beach just that we are supporters both financially and philosophically with removing things from the beach.

Thanks Kurt for throwing us under the bus...:D

Hey brad ... do you have any idea if the education is making its way to the tourists? Have you worked directly with the rental companies in this? Can you lean on them if they are not following through?

I have seen your staff in action and I'm sure they are very busy! They cannot do it all. The key here I believe is education, and hopefully some enforcement. No one expects you guys to have to pick up after everyone.
 
Just a point of clarification that the TDC is not worried about offending visitors in regard to picking up after themselves. We work with all county personnel and our lodging associations to ask them to pass on a myriad of information to their guests including beach cleanliness. We also are eyes on the beach that point out the exact same enforcement issues that are often highlighted on this board. Additionally, we have installed close to 400 trash receptacles on the beach that are emptied daily except in the dead of winter (3-4 times a week), and allocate 1% of the overall TDC budget to Beach Maintenance that includes beach cleaning. Finally, we are the organizers for the International Coastal Clean-up day for South Walton along the beaches, and it's September 16th so come on out!

I am not saying we are perfect and that we get everything off the beach just that we are supporters both financially and philosophically with removing things from the beach.

Thanks Kurt for throwing us under the bus...:D


A little sensitive aren't we?

I believe the new receptacle by the lake in Grayton has kept that area cleaner.
 
A little sensitive aren't we?

I believe the new receptacle by the lake in Grayton has kept that area cleaner.

No I was kidding that's why i put the smiley, I guess I should have used the wink.

I did want people to know that the TDC has no problem with education and taking STRONG positions, as we try and sometimes it's like... :bang: for us also. This does not mean that the tourism industry may have some individuals who might take umbrage, but none that we know of. Like on Dragnet, just the facts!

By the way, are you going to be at Coastal Cleanup on the 16th or preparing for a football game.
 
Hey brad ... do you have any idea if the education is making its way to the tourists? Have you worked directly with the rental companies in this? Can you lean on them if they are not following through?

I have seen your staff in action and I'm sure they are very busy! They cannot do it all. The key here I believe is education, and hopefully some enforcement. No one expects you guys to have to pick up after everyone.


It's like everything, we have examples where education makes it to the end user, and where it doesn't. The biggest problem we have is getting it to the person who has one or two houses. We send out emails and letters allowing them to request any promotional and educational items we have, and then we mail/deliver what they need. We also just drop in on the bigger ones. Things like the Seemore the Safety Crab Program are readily requested and delivered other stuff depends on the company.

Can we lean on them... no. They don't answer to us and we have NO regulatory or enforcement capabilities. We do often partner/highlight the ones that do a better job so it's more positive reinforcement instead of a hand slap.
 
No I was kidding that's why i put the smiley, I guess I should have used the wink.

I did want people to know that the TDC has no problem with education and taking STRONG positions, as we try and sometimes it's like... :bang: for us also. This does not mean that the tourism industry may have some individuals who might take umbrage, but none that we know of. Like on Dragnet, just the facts!

By the way, are you going to be at Coastal Cleanup on the 16th or preparing for a football game.

I always prepare for football games by cleaning up the beach. :lol:
 
I'm really sad that I cannot clean the beaches on that Saturday - I'm hosting a baby shower that morning at 11:00 and have much to do... believe me, I am gonna be wishing I was out there picking up garbage...:roll:

I'm sending my boys though... :D
 
and we have NO regulatory or enforcement capabilities.


Mr. Pickel:
Thank you for joining this discussion. Earlier this year a Sheriff's Deputy on Beach Patrol stated that they don't enforce rules regarding tents left overnight on the beach. He indicated that the TDC was in charge of enforcement.

I have a few questions:

1. Are there rules/ordinances against leaving articles (such as tents) on the beach overnight?

2. Which agency has the authority (or will) to enforce said rules, if they exist?

Thanks for your interest in this issue.
 
Hello Brad!

Good to hear from you. How does one obtain this info you mentioned was sent out in emails? I am an end user in SoWal. That doesn't sound very nice. Thank you!
 
Could you put a trash receptacle at the end of the dune crossover from Deer Lake State Park, please?
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top