• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Critter Question

New posts
The hawks are also so beautiful but will snap up your small animals as well. We have seen several foxes in our area lately..very pretty.
 
Oh yeah, I forgot that I have lizards. And deer, twice. And a dead deer in the back of a pickup. And various dead, squished possums and 'coons.

We do live out in the boonies here. We are on 30A but we are only a mile or so from Franklin County. It's just temporary but it's been quite an experience.

I smelled fox one of our first nights here. I am very familiar with the smell because we saw and smelled them all the time in Denver. Saw (and heard) coyotes regularly there, as well.

I keep our cats inside, and I am not worried about coyotes messing with my mastiffs. The ones we saw in Denver kept their distance.
However, I don't feel comfortable just letting our dogs out unattended for very long.
Neighbors say that the gators here are small, but they are around, and rattlers and cottonmouths are around as well. Gators and rattlers and 'mouths, oh my!
 
Last edited:
Sueshore said:
OMG Cil!!!! You live out in the WILD!!! That is so awesome! Please take some pics for us!

BTW...I had a little green lizard...chameleon (?) on my kitchen counter yesterday and successfully got it back outside....I felt so good!!!

CIL, Your location sounds great! I'd love having most all those animals.

SS, Your green lizard is an anole - will be green when on plants and brown when on similar colors, but that's pretty much its color range.
 
Rita said:
CIL, Your location sounds great! I'd love having most all those animals.

SS, Your green lizard is an anole - will be green when on plants and brown when on similar colors, but that's pretty much its color range.

Thanks Rita...we always called them chameleons growing up. How do you say anole?
 
Critter spotting is great fun!

I live next to the Point Washington State Forest here in south Walton and have seen all of the animals listed in the previous messages.

Plus two notable sightings:

Wild boar - a family of 4 alongside Hwy 98 near Rosemary Beach

and

Bobcat -One fella went strolling across my backyard early one morning. Very cool!

Does anyone know aboat Panthers/Cougars left here in our area? I know that they were relatively common a few decades back. Some of my friends have claimed to see one and I would love to know if anyone has any information about these beautiful animals.
 
I have seen coyotes several times crossing 395 near 98 and also crossing 30A near Deer Lake. We moved here in '96 and saw foxes on at least a weekly basis. I hardly ever see one now. I think about that often and truly miss those encounters.
 
twt512 said:
Critter spotting is great fun!

I live next to the Point Washington State Forest here in south Walton and have seen all of the animals listed in the previous messages.

Plus two notable sightings:

Wild boar - a family of 4 alongside Hwy 98 near Rosemary Beach

and

Bobcat -One fella went strolling across my backyard early one morning. Very cool!

Does anyone know aboat Panthers/Cougars left here in our area? I know that they were relatively common a few decades back. Some of my friends have claimed to see one and I would love to know if anyone has any information about these beautiful animals.

My neighborhood used to be called "howler's ridge" because of panthers calling at night. I thought I saw one once but they are very rare anymore. Apparently there are only a handful of Florida Panthers left.
 
Take a stroll out the boardwalk at Deer Lake State Park some morning to get an idea how many foxes and coyotes are about at night. Numerous tracks. We even saw a coyote sunning last winter on the street in Sand Cliffs.

The occaisional "wild bore" can also spotted at Bud and Alley's for Friday night happy hour.
 
TreeFrog said:
Take a stroll out the boardwalk at Deer Lake State Park some morning to get an idea how many foxes and coyotes are about at night. Numerous tracks. We even saw a coyote sunning last winter on the street in Sand Cliffs.

The occaisional "wild bore" can also spotted at Bud and Alley's for Friday night happy hour.

Oh TreeFrog...that's a good one and a true one!!!!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top