• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Daylight hours

New posts
About what time is it getting dark in SoWal this time of year? In the Midwest, it's black outside by 5:00; isn't there a bit more daylight there?
 
Dark by 5:00pm. It's one of those times when it's a bit of a bummer to be on the far eastern edge of a time zone.
 
12/13/04 - the sun disappeared under the horizon on the Gulf at 4:47 PM.
11/23/05 - the sun disappeared under the horizon on the Gulf at 4:49 PM.

Never been there on my birthday (12/22) - guess it'd be a little earlier since it's the first full day of winter solstice.
 
beachmouse said:
Dark by 5:00pm. It's one of those times when it's a bit of a bummer to be on the far eastern edge of a time zone.
I wish we were in the Eastern Time Zone. This crap stinks.
 
beachmouse said:
Dark by 5:00pm. It's one of those times when it's a bit of a bummer to be on the far eastern edge of a time zone.
Thanks for the info, but-- :( !
 
Peapod, when we were at the beach 2 weeks ago it was pitch black at 5:00 pm! It's so odd to catch a sunset at quarter of.

That to me is the only disadvantage of visiting SoWal in the off season. During the day, it's mild and it's such a blessed relief to walk along the shoreline and not get back dripping with sweat! And the bicycling is so much nicer, too. And do I need to mention how heavenly it is not to be among swarms of tourists? You can actually dine out and not have to wait forever for your table! All these advantages to a late year visit to SoWal...all for the price of darkness at 5:00 pm.

What we'd do is take a walk after sunset--everywhere is fairly well-lit and it's certainly safe. Then we'd eat dinner as late as we could push it, and then the rest of the evening was quiet stuff like reading or watching a movie. Or we'd make a trip over to Destin to either the outlet mall or that new Destin Commons, both of which are open 'til 9:00 pm. We found that the small shops along 30-A were generally closed by 6:00 pm, if not earlier.

I gather you are asking because your big birthday trip is coming up very soon! :clap_1:
 
Smiling JOe said:
I wish we were in the Eastern Time Zone. This crap stinks.

I agree. I can't stand driving home from work in the dark. I like to be able to get some outside stuff done after work. :bang:
 
I know what you mean, LL. I enjoy eating dinner just before sunset, and now that means that I have to begin cooking dinner just before 4:00pm in order to do so. :bang: Makes me feel as though I am a part of an Early Bird Special group.:(
 
i hate to rain on anyone's parade, but this is my favorite time of year in this respect. i love to go in to work when it is dark ( 6pm) and come home when it's dark (6 am). excellent sleeping weather for us night owls and 3rd shifters. :D
 
Smiling JOe said:
I know what you mean, LL. I enjoy eating dinner just before sunset, and now that means that I have to begin cooking dinner just before 4:00pm in order to do so. :bang: Makes me feel as though I am a part of an Early Bird Special group.:(

I heard something not long ago about the gubment doing away with the whole time change thing. Not sure if it was true. I'm sure there are some people out there who would be hurt by it though (in the pocket book).
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top