• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Debate Analysis and Opinions

New posts
I hesitate to say this, but I have a truly visceral dislike of Sarah Palin. And I don't think I'd be considered a "lib-nut." Until very recently, I've been a registered Republican my entire adult life (now Independent), and I've voted Republican in every presidential race thus far. I'm not this time because there are no Republicans running, and unbeknownst to me at the time, there wasn't one running in the previous two elections, either. Palin strikes me as the pretty girl with certain "skiils" who never had to try that hard to get what she wanted, and acts shocked and surprised to find that others who actually do the work are offended by her unearned success. But still feels entitled because, well. . . she wants it. Sarah Palin may be the only person alive who makes me miss Hillary Clinton.

You hit the nail on the head MS. Although, being an attractive woman can also be detrimental to one's career on the flip side. There are many accomplished woman who not only have had to break the glass ceiling, but also had to work harder to prove that they just weren't another pretty face. Then there are the Margaret Thatchers of the world, who when you get to know and admire them for their class and intellect, become beautiful woman in their own right. Sarah Palin is just ugly to me for the very reasons you listed above.
 
Walk into any major corporation with a marketing department in any major city and you will see literally thousands of Palins. The only thing missing was the projector, Power Point and a laser pointer. Palin is an expert marketer, whose learned to make it look like she has bent the rules of marketing, to sell you. Does she have analytical abilities? The only insight I have seen thus far, and proven last night, was that she has the innate ability to know when to take advantage of being at the right spot at the right time and acting like she is as American as apple pie. Does she have the analytical ability to be one of the top advisers to McCain on topics of deep relevance any better than the woman you would see employed at the above corporations, who btw, have families as well, sons who may be deployed, manage a family budget and marketing budget, kill what they eat in a non literal sense, degreed, and can wink in a presentation? No, as far as I am concerned, and if she were placed in the law or accounting division and asked to form an opinion, immediately, without any counsel, she couldn't do it.


You and I may well have spent time in the same cities and we seem to have the same disdain for the marketing department.. but I can assure you Mango, there were far fewer Palin's and far more Obama's in that department from my experience. Polish, the right words, saying what everyone wants to hear - trust me, Obama has far more skill in that arena than you want to accept.
 
Last edited:
Do you see abandoning Dean's fifty state strategy in order to hang on to the presidency a positive?

Yes anything they do to win the presidency is a good thing, and I think they will. They seem to be doing the right things. Everything they are doing so far is quite positive. There is a good chance they will win Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada. They are way up in Iowa. They should win New Hampshire and Michigan. They could win Florida, Ohio, and Virginia. They are actually looking good in Indiana. Of course they will win Pennsylvania and all the traditional blue states. I can't complain. The fifty state strategy is probably what made Obama strong in those three states out west. It's no longer needed. I really think their strength in Iowa, Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada is what's different this time around. McCain almost has to win both Ohio and Florida I would say, and even that might not be enough because of those western states and Iowa. [EDIT] Also want to add that North Carolina is not looking good for McCain, and Missouri is weaker than one might expect. Not a good sign for McCain. I think maybe when he suspended his campaign he got a little carried away!:D
 
Last edited:
Nice analysis Mango. Sarah Palin is interested in one thing: Sarah Palin.

Has anyone caught the smiley-winky undermining of McCain that has already begun? First she said in the debate that she was going to try to get McCain to see her side of a certain issue -- I can't remember which one, but it was startling because that is NOT what VP candidates are there for. Period. You do not say that "out loud."

Then today, high off her positive reviews, possibly pondering the breadth of the Constitutional rights of a VP (not to mention McCain's advanced age), she actually said on record that 1) she was not told McCain was pulling out of Michigan and 2) she was trying to get them to change their minds. This tells me two things: this is not a solid "team of mavericks," not by a long shot. And also: if this "team" is going to go down, she is going to lay the groundwork for her return to the national stage, you betcha.

I have read way more about Sarah Palin than is healthy, I admit. But it is clear that everything revolves about her, she tells small lies and whoppers with total ease, and she is not interested in working with people who do not make her own interests a priority. Troopergate is a small but important and possibly devastating example. I do not want that woman anywhere near the White House. I think I am being rational. At first I thought she was interesting. Now I just think she is scary.

I agree, except Mango may be a little harsh on some of the better marketing types. LOL.

I have wondered if whoever picked Sarah to team up with Mac, may not have realized what they were getting into...time will tell. Obviously, they are not sharing tactics like Michigan with her; wonder what else they've decided not to tell her. Probably a good thing, actually...
 
You and I may well have spent time in the same cities and we seem to have the same disdain for the marketing department.. but I can assure you Mango, there were far fewer Palin's and far more Obama's in that department from my experience. Polish, the right words, saying what everyone wants to hear - trust me, Obama has far more skill in that arena than you want to accept.

yes, but the difference is he has the intelligence to back up his skill and polish. Big Difference.
 
Say it ain't so, Joe. ;-)



By definition, a "team of mavericks" is not possible.

I hesitate to say this, but I have a truly visceral dislike of Sarah Palin. And I don't think I'd be considered a "lib-nut." Until very recently, I've been a registered Republican my entire adult life (now Independent), and I've voted Republican in every presidential race thus far. I'm not this time because there are no Republicans running, and unbeknownst to me at the time, there wasn't one running in the previous two elections, either. Palin strikes me as the pretty girl with certain "skiils" who never had to try that hard to get what she wanted, and acts shocked and surprised to find that others who actually do the work are offended by her unearned success. But still feels entitled because, well. . . she wants it. Sarah Palin may be the only person alive who makes me miss Hillary Clinton.

great post MC. I always liked Hillary, but now I appreciate the hail out of her.

yes, but the difference is he has the intelligence to back up his skill and polish. Big Difference.

yep. big difference.
 
Since it won't happen in real time, perhaps Saturday Night Live will do a skit with Palin and Pelosi. As Palin is going for the number 2 spot, and Pelosi currently has the number 3 spot, that could prove quite entertaining. We should email SNL and request.
 
Last edited:
Say it ain't so, Joe. ;-)



By definition, a "team of mavericks" is not possible.

I hesitate to say this, but I have a truly visceral dislike of Sarah Palin. And I don't think I'd be considered a "lib-nut." Until very recently, I've been a registered Republican my entire adult life (now Independent), and I've voted Republican in every presidential race thus far. I'm not this time because there are no Republicans running, and unbeknownst to me at the time, there wasn't one running in the previous two elections, either. Palin strikes me as the pretty girl with certain "skiils" who never had to try that hard to get what she wanted, and acts shocked and surprised to find that others who actually do the work are offended by her unearned success. But still feels entitled because, well. . . she wants it. Sarah Palin may be the only person alive who makes me miss Hillary Clinton.

I don't know that much about her other than she spent time in community colleges, beauty pageants, as a mayor then won the governor's spot in Alaska. How did she ascend so quickly? I have a hard time believing it was strictly serendipity and nice legs. If I am wrong, please let me know how.
I know she is absolutely hated by the left's intelligensia who think Kennedy School of Government types are the only acceptable candidates for high office.
I don't think she is an acceptable candidate for VEEP, but it has nothing to do with permanent cosmetics, her accent, her figure, her lack of an Ivy League education or a pregnant daughter. It has to do with her CV;it is too thin to be second in command with a president McCain's age. Pure and simple.
For whatever reason she has sparked hatred that I am glad I don't feel the need to become bogged-down in.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top