• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Does a photo op make it OK?

New posts
P8290076sm.jpg


guests or owners of Sanctuary at Redfish walking through the dunes


The boat, operated by Sanctuary at Redfish, is dropping people off so that the shortest path is through the dunes, and that is not necessary. He could easily drop them off at the mouth of the outflow and they could walk down the outflow, only 20 ft away from where he is dropping them off and picking them up. :bang: This photo was taken last week.


***********

Caroling, see how easy that was? If your legal stuff works out, post it. ;-)
 
This morning, a group of people were sitting on a dune restoration area, including a photographer taking their pictures. I asked them if they had seen the signs and they said "it is OK, we?re being careful". I didn?t think it was OK. I took their picture. The photographer said it was illegal for me to take their picture, so we?re even. I had thought of posting the photo to sowal along with my comment. In my understanding, I can take pictures in public but it would be illegal for me to post them without model releases. I?m wondering if it is so illegal to photograph people that I couldn?t use a photo to document a complaint. For example if I showed a photo to a sheriff of someone breaking a rule. Could the rule breakers then sue me for taking their picture? Can I only complain verbally?

Cite your First Amendment RIGHTS and post the photo. Expecially if the image has the "pro photographer" in it. That is an image the "pro" would not have so it would be YOUR copyrighted image.

Send the photo to the newspapers and see if they will print it. Send whatever caption information you have as well.

And no, it is no more ok for businesses to break county regulations than it is for the common citizen.
 
When I said "photographer", I didn't know the relationship of the person behind the camera to the group. It could just as well have been a friend, relative, or hired pro. I didn't think to ask. Next time I see something like this I'll be more proactive due to all your good ideas.
 
I think that photographer has invaded the dunes several times, not just the occasion mentioned above. :pissed: I have known several people that have approached the 'professional photographer' and advised them on not to have people on the dunes. I live here. I love the dunes. And nothing sets me off like people on the dunes. And bad drivers. What can I say? I'm a bit jaded at times. :D

If you really don't want to post the picture due to the people's faces - blur them out! :D
 
Realized three things this morning.
1. Where I photographed people in the grass on the dune area, is not an official restoration area. The sign is vague and relates to the bare sand next to it, where vehicles destroyed the dunes in 2004-05. (See pix below.)
2. Having seen a baby turtle rescued from a nest and heading into the gulf, I'm even more dedicated to preserving this environment. What an unforgettable inspiring sight!
3. I have as hard a time as anyone in being careful. To video the nest digging, I found myself leaning up against dune plants. So I have to admit that in spite of my own best intentions, the photo op made it OK. Sob.

sign4597.jpg

signArea4598.jpg
 
I sure don't like seeing metal stakes on the beach. They get buried in storms and become dangerous and rusty just underneath the sand.

Sand fencing was used a lot more on the beaches between Opal and Dennis, even though metal stakes were regrettably used sometimes, the sand fencing kept people off the dunes and helped to build certain areas by trapping sand.

It seems to me some folks would rather spend money on advertising and development instead of protecting and preserving what we already have.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top