• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Does anyone actually believe the TSA?

New posts

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
From the TSA's website on the privacy of scanners:

Advanced imaging technology cannot store, print, transmit or save the image, and the image is automatically deleted from the system after it is cleared by the remotely located security officer. Officers evaluating images are not permitted to take cameras, cell phones or photo-enabled devices into the resolution room.

With no record and no permanent storage how do they prove probable cause? How do they get a conviction?

Is it all based on the 'word' of a TSA screener? That;'s reassuring.

Am I the only one skeptical of what the TSA tells us?
 
I am less concerned about the reproduction/sharing of the image (it's a body scan, so simply classify it as medical info and let the lawyers have a field day with anyone who posts or reproduces the info) than I am about the rapidly escalating cost and questionable effectiveness of machines like this.

They continue to build increasingly elaborate mousetraps for a specific breed of mouse w/ a sensitive palate, when IMO they should be focusing on the cheese and peanut butter that has been historically proven to snare many rodents.

No matter what machine they build or how much they grope people, it will still ALWAYS boil down to terrorists trying to get explosives or weapons onto a plane.

Patting down pilots is stupid - if they're involved we've got bigger issues than what's in their pants.

Patting down small children or pets is sadly not.

And IMO this whole patdown thing is a HUGE step in the wrong direction - as a frequent flier I will be adding more bulk to my clothing and acting more nervous - and as a result making their job more difficult and less effective.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't ever believe that they aren't saved. I'd wager they are archived somewhere for use in legal cases.

They aren't saved just as any emails you delete aren't saved. Sorry..they are archived and can be recalled with a simple subpoena.

I don't believe they aren't saved no matter what they tell us...
 
I wouldn't ever believe that they aren't saved. I'd wager they are archived somewhere for use in legal cases.

They aren't saved just as any emails you delete aren't saved. Sorry..they are archived and can be recalled with a simple subpoena.

I don't believe they aren't saved no matter what they tell us...

As to emails don't be so sure. The easiest way to avoid archiving of emails is to have your own server.

I can have our system administrator pull the server I use for email tomorrow and throw it in an incinerator. Other than what I have on my computer those emails are gone. Once they are deleted from the server they can be retrieved, but only for a period of time that shortens with the increased frequency that I receive new emails. The server writes over them and after so many rewrites the information is truly gone.
 
.
:funn:

[ame=http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/365686/november-15-2010/tsa-full-body-scanners---jeffrey-goldberg]TSA Full-Body Scanners - Jeffrey Goldberg - The Colbert Report - 11/15/10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central[/ame]


.
 
As to emails don't be so sure. The easiest way to avoid archiving of emails is to have your own server.

I can have our system administrator pull the server I use for email tomorrow and throw it in an incinerator. Other than what I have on my computer those emails are gone. Once they are deleted from the server they can be retrieved, but only for a period of time that shortens with the increased frequency that I receive new emails. The server writes over them and after so many rewrites the information is truly gone.

No disagreement there, but 99% of the free world does not use their own server for their email client.
 
No disagreement there, but 99% of the free world does not use their own server for their email client.

Even if you host your own server, your email often relays through intermediate servers where it can be scraped and saved.

I wonder how the TSA is going to protect passengers in the terminal when terrorists decide to target them instead of planes?

Ever been in the security line in ATL on a Monday morning or just before a holiday? the queue is easily > 500 people.

A terrorist with 20-30 pounds of C4 stuffed with 10-20 lbs of nails and screws could do a lot of damage in the middle of that crowd and none of the TSA's Security Theatre can do a darn thing about it.

They'd get just as much publicity/reaction from that as from an airliner. Maybe more since it would be so hard to prevent.
 
Even if you host your own server, your email often relays through intermediate servers where it can be scraped and saved.

I wonder how the TSA is going to protect passengers in the terminal when terrorists decide to target them instead of planes?

Ever been in the security line in ATL on a Monday morning or just before a holiday? the queue is easily > 500 people.

A terrorist with 20-30 pounds of C4 stuffed with 10-20 lbs of nails and screws could do a lot of damage in the middle of that crowd and none of the TSA's Security Theatre can do a darn thing about it.

They'd get just as much publicity/reaction from that as from an airliner. Maybe more since it would be so hard to prevent.

I've thought of this possibility as well...and, while I like the convenience of traveling from Hartsfield for more direct, non-stop flights, clearing security in smaller airports is so much less hassle. I also try to book flights around non-business busy travel times, but can't always do that.

Should we implement security upon entry to the airport......i.e. screening cars.....MARTA trains, Park 'n Rides, etc. If you've thought about this, the terrorists have already considered their next plan of attack.
 
I just turned down the full body scan. And had my Junk checked. I will refuse any futher touching of my groin till they prove a right to look there and give me a $20 feel up fee. And one screener stated that the machines use radio frequencies similiar to cell phones. Pretty good BS since it's a giant XRay machine. Our Gov't believes we are all a bunch of non thinking imbeciles. But sorry to say too many of us are just that!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top