• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Does anyone actually believe the TSA?

New posts
The conservative camp says TSA shouldn't body scan / pat down. The liberal camp says TSA shouldn't profile. Many of us in the middle would like to see them do both.

Please remember that no explosives or firearms were used by the 9/11 hijackers. There are plenty of deadly weapons that can pass thru metal detectors and explosive sniffers unnoticed, which could then be used in an identical 9/11 scenario. Go to Bed Bath and Beyond and check out the ceramic chef's knives. They're wicked sharp, and come in all sizes. Better than any box cutter. The only way TSA can detect them is body scanner / pat down.

How bout this solution. Each airline is responsible for their own security. Now we all have a choice. If I want an increased level of safety, I'll fly the airline that does body scans, pat downs, and doesn't allow carry on bags. You want privacy, you fly the airline that does nothing more than eyeball you as you board your flight. Everyone's happy.
 
How bout this solution. Each airline is responsible for their own security...

There is no requirement for an airport to use the TSA. Typically, the largest or controlling airline at an airport could assume responsibility and hire security other than TSA. They were only a post 9/11 stop gap measure that was never intended to be permanent.

Here's the rub. If something nasty gets through, now, it's the TSA and Uncle Sam on the hook. If the checkpoints are being manned by security details other than TSA that are contracted by an airline, that airline would be on the hook if something went down.

As a result, you are not going to see the TSA go away any time soon.

And this report from yesterday makes things SOOOOO much better.

Perfect Storm: TSA Workers Allowed to Unionize - TSA - Fox Nation

The TSA has, now, been given approval by the Federal Labor Relations Authority to vote for union representation. You think it's bad, now? Just wait...
 
The conservative camp says TSA shouldn't body scan / pat down. The liberal camp says TSA shouldn't profile. Many of us in the middle would like to see them do both.

Please remember that no explosives or firearms were used by the 9/11 hijackers. There are plenty of deadly weapons that can pass thru metal detectors and explosive sniffers unnoticed, which could then be used in an identical 9/11 scenario. Go to Bed Bath and Beyond and check out the ceramic chef's knives. They're wicked sharp, and come in all sizes. Better than any box cutter. The only way TSA can detect them is body scanner / pat down.

How bout this solution. Each airline is responsible for their own security. Now we all have a choice. If I want an increased level of safety, I'll fly the airline that does body scans, pat downs, and doesn't allow carry on bags. You want privacy, you fly the airline that does nothing more than eyeball you as you board your flight. Everyone's happy.

No, what I am saying is that the TSA should do a wide variety of things THAT ACTUALLY WORK TO COMBAT THE 2 BASIC GOALS OF TERRORISTS - which is to get weapons and explosives on a plane.

I don't need to hide a ceramic knife on my body - as a law abiding non-terrorist I can think of 42 ways to hide things in my "x-rayed" carry on.

The majority of the staff at any security checkpoint is herding cats - the minority is actually looking at identification and checking what is going on the plane.

And me getting felt up by TSA staff does not address that issue.
 
On the radio this morning people were calling in describing all the contraband they accidentally brought through security. Knives, scissors, mace, fireworks all kinds of crazy stuff. TSA prob doesn't catch 90% of the stuff they're supposed to.

It's a perception game that something is being done to discourage the bad folks at the expense of everyone else.
 
And, they insisted on keeping my nail clippers!

I really don't understand the whole nail clipper thing - is it because there is a metal file on some?

Cousin's husband is Scottish - and wore the traditional kilt for the wedding - complete with the full size knife that TSA didn't notice.........they also didn't notice when his wife flew home the large ceramic knives they got as a wedding gift.

Basically what I am saying is double the number of actual screeners and reduce the numbers who are groping folks. I look at their screens while I wait on others and it's a mess - no wonder they miss stuff.
 
I love ceramic knives. If in carry-on bags, a seasoned screener would investigate, due to the shape and they are opaque.
 
Nailclippers

Really. Why are we buying M-16's at about $2k a pop for our soldiers. Given the inherent danger of nailclippers, we could be saving a boatload! ;-)

I really don't understand the whole nail clipper thing - is it because there is a metal file on some?

Cousin's husband is Scottish - and wore the traditional kilt for the wedding - complete with the full size knife that TSA didn't notice.........they also didn't notice when his wife flew home the large ceramic knives they got as a wedding gift.

Basically what I am saying is double the number of actual screeners and reduce the numbers who are groping folks. I look at their screens while I wait on others and it's a mess - no wonder they miss stuff.
 
Different airports, different countries.....they have at least $35 worth of my clippers - and there is no consistency to the seizure.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top