• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Driving On The Beach

New posts

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
A) Doesn't that endanger the turtle population as well??? :confused:

B) Why is it necessary to drive on the beach? :confused:

C) Is it cuz it's just funn to drive on the beach? :confused:

I pay a ton of non homestead taxes and TDD taxes and stuff to own a little piece of heaven there. Common sense and mother nature tell me that driving my 4WD Pick UP onto south Walton beaches would not be very sea turtle or environmentally friendly. Am I wrong in thinking this? :confused:
That permit is one of the only bumper/window stickers I can actually see any more. That thing just screams, "Look at me. I drive on the beaches of South Walton County." Grayt advertisement, btw. ;-) I've spotted it several times up in Nash Vegas drivin' down West End Avenue for all to see in rush hour. :wave:
 
Watch out now. That's right up there with the Bill of Rights. I think it is 10A, and is more sacred then the right to bear arms or freedom of speech. :biggrin:
 
I'm asking this because I don't know, in other words, out of sheer ignorance: Isn't the area where you can drive restricted for anyone other than emergency/county vehicles?
 
1) You can only drive your PERMITTED vehicle on the beach at a few select locations. Other then that, only emergency vehicles are allowed.
2) You do not endanger the nesting turtles because you must remove your vehicle by dusk. I think deep tire tracks left in the sand could impede them, but unsure.
3) It is a funn & convenient way to get older people & kids out there. Some charter services also launch their boats from there.
 
to my knowledge, grayton beach is the only place where permitted vehicles are allowed - and only on the designated area (not past signs posted on the east and west ends of the beach).

SCKristi - I'm not saying that it is totally environmentally friendly to drive our vehicles on the beach, but it is something we've really enjoyed since we were tiny babies. It's restricted to property owners (for several good reasons), but the traffic is doubling and tripling and so now the driving on the beach issue is coming into question, and the county has discussed and will further discuss options.

I don't see how driving on the beach could have any impact on sea turtles. or anything else for that matter. beach tracks are part of the scene - and certainly not a danger to animals or people. as long as drivers drive safely and slowly, they should not bother anyone or anything.

I believe one of the main reasons for driving on Grayton Beach is to allow boats to put in at the Gulf. It is used quite a bit for this purpose. also, grayton's town is situated "back" away from the beach, unlike most beach communities - so residents and visitors needed access to the beach via jeeps and trucks - but back then it was very few. luckily, we still enjoy the privilege.

I can understand if you or anyone else does not agree with driving on the beach. If I did not like cars on the beach, I would certainly choose any of the other gorgeous beach accesses along 30A to enjoy. In fact, we have thought about this possibility on days when we would rather find a more private spot in general. Then we would not drive our truck out, of course. We would be forced to simplify, but we would live.:wave:
 
Last edited:
I don't see how driving on the beach could have any impact on sea turtles. or anything else for that matter. beach tracks are part of the scene - and certainly not a danger to animals or people. as long as drivers drive safely and slowly, they should not bother anyone or anything.

While a big sea turtle may not be slowed much by some tire tracks, I wonder if some of the deeper tracks like we occasionally see, would stop a baby sea turtle emerging from a nest as it quickly makes the dash to the water. That time is critical and it is when most turtles are taken by predators.

Frankly, I think the large holes left on the beach by people could cause much more potential harm to the turtles than the shallow tire tracks.

There are getting to be too many vehicles on the beach in the summer, and it is becoming a huge problem. I've commented many times regarding the lack of parking in Grayton, which is also a HUGE problem. I think the two are related. Friday evening, I wanted to go for a paddle on Western Lake. Autos were parked all over the place in Grayton, including both sides of the boat ramp. I could not find enough room to drop my kayak and park. blah, blah, blah. The County will have to address the lack of parking issues in Grayton before it does anything with the driving on the beach.

To the best of my knowledge, the beach at Grayton is owned by the State, and leased by the County. I've heard that in order for the County to continue the lease, they are required to allow vehicles with permits, on the beach.
 
Thanks for the 411. I would think a tiny baby sea turtle could get stuck in either a deep track or a hole too. It's just tracks would be lots longer possibly blocking many babies first trek to the beach. Then again maybe the mom can smell the motor oil and pollution and just goes somewhere else to nest.
Like Toot said some of ya'll have been doin' it since you were tiny babies so it would be :( to let go of that luxury, I guess. :idontno: If I was allowed to drive on the beach in our big truck I know I would wanna do a few donuts to show out for hubbabubba..;-) I don't want a permitToo bad it sounds like it's gettin' outta hand with the increased population. I have never actually seen the 'SUV' beach. :eek: It would make me :cry: and maybe a little :angry: to be honest. Sorry, but IMHO and only IMHO, to me it would be like seeing tents all over only worse. I don't care how far I have to walk in order to avoid seein' that. I want to see the pure, unadulterated, sand and shore, and hear the waves and the wind, not a 'thumpin' parking lot on the beach. :( I'll stay down on the other end of all that. Lots of beach towns used to allow driving on the beach but stopped it a long time ago for environmental and traffic logistical reasons. We parked on Jax Beach when I was a tiny kid too but that stopped ages ago, maybe even in the 70's. :idontno: With all the development it just makes you wonder where are all the beachgoers spozed to park if they have to drive to the beach? Just doesn't seem like the answer would be on the beach, especially when the decrease in the turtle nests seem to directly correspond with the increased development/ population/traffic. I personally would like to see my tax dollars, esp. TD taxes, going to some more public parking and nice public accesses with showers. Is there even a public access all the way from in between Seacrest to Inlet?:idontno:
 
Last edited:
SCC- I haul off at least 2 big bags of trash on most days at the beach. and so does everybody else I know that sports a screaming beach permit on their vehicles. Actually, on many days, I am literally driving a garbage truck because I offer to drive out other's trash - Grayton is so big and it is a long walk in deep sand to the garbage cans.

The amount of trash (not counting the chairs, tents, and coolers, but real garbage), is astounding, and more disturbing than the cars, which have to leave every evening. The vast majority of us that drive on the beach leave it in better shape than when we got there, trust me. Which is really good for those turtles.

Yes, there are too many cars on the beach right now, and most with out-of-state plates. One idea that came to me the other day was limiting the numbers somehow during the tourist season, maybe only allowing the charter fishing guys during that time. In the off season, there are not many cars.

I doubt that the decrease in turtle nests along the Panhandle can be directly attirbuted to a very small area of the beach allowing vehicular traffic. There are no vehicles there at night.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top