• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Electronic Locks for rentals

New posts

josebby

Beach Lover
I am trying to figure out the best way to handle the keys when renting our place. Being an out of town landlord, I am intrigued by the electronic locks that allow specific timed entrance for each tenant, cleaning crew, etc, while being controlled by the landlord long distance. Anyone have any experience with a system like this, and if so, where would I find one in the SoWal area?
 
i don't have any experience with that kind of lock, but we have the keyless entry on our door between the kitchen and garage, and it is really nice. will support up to 4 different codes at a time, runs on 4 AA batteries, and also had a key in case batteries go dead, etc.

also, when we rented a house in colorado in september, they had one of the lock boxes on the front door that goes around the knob, and they sent the combination when we paid for it - that was really nice, better than checking in at some office.
 
WaterColor homes on the WC rental program have keyless entry. I think the builders have to purchase them thru WC. They are high end, on price too. Call over to their sales office and see if they can tell you where to purchase. IMHO, for security for you and your guests, it is best not to use keys in rentals. Combination codes for keyless entry should be used and changed often. If for no other reasons than liability, it should be done. No more lost keys, no more key copies floating around waiting to get in the wrong person's hands.
 
Southern Resorts uses keyless entries on all their rentals. Maybe they can help.
 
Thanks all for your ideas. I did go ahead and order one of the newfangled locks called the Oracle 660 (www.kaba-ilco.com) from Destin Locksmithing (only rep in the panhandle). It can be programmed from any computer for timed access for renters or vendors. Cost is $499 plus $90 installation plus $15/month for the web connection. Two keys are included for the homeowners. I'll let you know how it works for us!
 
I too am interested in remote electronic locks and I am referencing back to an ad that I first saw in CONDO OWNER magazine a couple of years ago - go to www.rentallock.com. I don't have any personal experience with it but am about to check into it myself. If you gain any interesting info from rentallock please post for us. Good Luck!
 
josebby....you started a thread! Way to go! Who are you using to rent your place?
 
Hey Miss Kitty! Welcome back! I plan on being my own rental agent as we only want to rent it 10 or 12 times a year. Kurt did a VT for us...WaterSound 108B. We'll see how it goes! I know I'll be asking for lots of advice from SoWal.com experienced landlords.
 
Last edited:
Let me ask a question about these electronic locks with a passcode. Do you place one of these on every access point? If not, how do your guests use the other entry doors? Are they supposed to leave them unlocked while they're away at the beach, etc?
 
iqueequeg said:
Let me ask a question about these electronic locks with a passcode. Do you place one of these on every access point? If not, how do your guests use the other entry doors? Are they supposed to leave them unlocked while they're away at the beach, etc?
The locks are costly enough that you need them only on one door. That is the door through which they will enter after returning from the beach, shopping, etc. The homes on the rental program at WaterColor have the locks on the front door only, even though you park at the back of the house. :idontno: (I don't get it.) The other entry doors can have regular locks which the guests can lock/unlock from the inside without a key.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top