• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Electronic Locks for rentals

New posts
We plan to put one electronic lock on the door from the garage to the 1st floor. The front door lock must remain the same as the other townhomes. We'll give out the garage code (which will change regularly) to gain entry to the electronic lock. Every time the renters enter through the garage, they will need to punch their code into the electronic lock. They may leave by the front door, but can't gain re-entry. I'm very hopeful this will work beautifully for us, as we are long distance landlords and keys present so many problems.
 
josebby said:
We plan to put one electronic lock on the door from the garage to the 1st floor. The front door lock must remain the same as the other townhomes. We'll give out the garage code (which will change regularly) to gain entry to the electronic lock. Every time the renters enter through the garage, they will need to punch their code into the electronic lock. They may leave by the front door, but can't gain re-entry. I'm very hopeful this will work beautifully for us, as we are long distance landlords and keys present so many problems.

We currently own a Tivoli by the Sea in the Sandestin Resort. I had Nic
at Destin Locksmithing install the Oracode keyless door lock system 2 years
ago and it is wonderful!! Nic is going to be putting a newer version in our
cottage in Summer's Edge in March. I highly recommend him!! I had to call
Nic after Ivan hit because my touch key pad wouldn't work; however, it was
just sand under the plate and he fixed it right away. He has always been
very professional, timely and dependable when making an appt..

This is a great door system and I wouldn't be w/o it!! It gives me peace
of mind and my renter's that their code only works from the day of arrival
through departure and previous person's cannot re-enter the premise. If
you have any additonal ?'s, pm me and I'll see if I can answer; otherwise,
good luck with your new Watercolor rental. I love :wub: the Watercolor
community with their nature walks and parks..........very relaxing............
 
We also have an electronic lock. There is a product sold at Ace Hardware for the cleaning of electronic locks (can't remember the name right now and it is in the garage at our place) Seems salt air can make it stick at times (especially after hurricane season) Spray and cleaning the keypad with this stuff once or twice a year takes care of that problem. Sorry I can't remember the name - but the guys at Ace recommended it to us - so they should know what it is. It's a aerosol can.

I love the lock because you don't have to worry about renters losing keys at the beach or pool or I don't have to juggle for my keys when my hands are full with groceries etc.
 
Thank you for the good words about Nic at Destin Locksmithing. He's the one I contacted just by chance! He'll be installing it in February. I think the lock will work very well for us now that I know you are happy with it. :D
















.
 
Would one of Nic's locks work for an owners' closet? We use regular keys for the doors, but think it would be useful to finally set aside a closet for us that we enter with a code so we don't have to worry about keys. Any suggestions for keyless locks for owners' closets -- codes rather than keys?
 
We've been using an electronic keypad lock by Kwikset on our laundry room door. It's great to know the kids can always get in the house and you don't have to remember keys. They sell them at Home Depot for $99. It goes in the deadbolt opening of the door so I'm not sure it would work for an interior closet.
 
Last edited:
Paula said:
Would one of Nic's locks work for an owners' closet? We use regular keys for the doors, but think it would be useful to finally set aside a closet for us that we enter with a code so we don't have to worry about keys. Any suggestions for keyless locks for owners' closets -- codes rather than keys?

Paula,
Nic's locks would work for a storage closet; however, I think the Oracode
system itself might be too expensive just for storage. However, Nic might
have another system that would work great for owner's needs. My greatest
fear is lost owner closet keys. Last year I gave our housekeeper (3 sets)....
Below is Nic's email address, please let me know what you find out???
I would :wub: to be owner keyless too!!!!!
Nic@destin.com
 
Destin Locksmithing has installed the electronic lock (Oracle 660) on the interior garage door to our rental home. It works beautifully!

We give our garage keypad code (which we change frequently) to renters and they receive a special code to get into the home, which works only for their vacation time. They can change that code to one they easily remember (so there's no searching for the slip of paper with the code on it each time they enter).

We can give the cleaning crew, etc, a code which works only for the day they will be there. The owner code is renewed yearly and we have keys in case of a malfunction.

The installer said many rental companies are changing to this lock system.

I would second the high recommendation of Destin Locksmithing!
 
I know this thread is as old as Methuselah :D

But I just wanted to say thanks because it helped me so much. I have been looking for remote control access solutions to the new slopeside ski-in condo that I purchased in Park City Utah.

We have a front desk, but it gets sticky when you are not in the rental pool.

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to you all.

Sincerely

Conston
http://silverado.enterwerks.com
 
I know this thread is as old as Methuselah :D

But I just wanted to say thanks because it helped me so much. I have been looking for remote control access solutions to the new slopeside ski-in condo that I purchased in Park City Utah.

We have a front desk, but it gets sticky when you are not in the rental pool.

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to you all.

Sincerely

Conston
http://silverado.enterwerks.com

:welcome:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top