• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Enforcement for remove it or lose it?

New posts
Darling, I'm confused by how I'm always confusing you. :lol:

Some people have to have the car towed before they see the "No Parking" sign. You can't tell them not to park there. You can't show them the sign. They see a space and think that it was created for their convenience.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if there is a sign at our access about leaving stuff overnight. But as long as one person can leave one chair and find it in the same place the next morning, they will think it's okay to leave everything plus the kitchen sink on the beach until it's time to pack 'er up in the gas guzzler to go home.

People bring what they think they can conveniently bring. If they can't drive their cars on the beach to haul their cooler, boxes of sand toys, surfboards, chairs, umbrellas, tents (which make up for the inability to sit in the shade of a large vehicle,) etc., then they'll leave it there overnight. Careful before you criticize how much crap people bring if you're hauling equal amounts onto the beach in a permit-ted vehicle. Would you still bring all that stuff if you couldn't drive on the beach? :scratch:



I ask this with total beach self-righteousness. The last time I went down to the beach I didn't have a chair, book, towel, or a bottle of water--I didn't even wear shoes. :lol:


Whole different issue, especially since a) cars are off the beach at night, and b) it is legal with a permit.
 
:lolabove:...me thinks it is your friends that have me confused this time! I can't even imagine that if I explained the rules of the beach to someone I knew and was vacationing with that they would completely dismiss me! Were these "grownups" or teenage types?

BTW...I sure would have listened to you. :wave:
 
Whole different issue, especially since a) cars are off the beach at night, and b) it is legal with a permit.

:rolling:Hee, hee...I just couldn't believe how much stuff the gang had down there Saturday! :blink: (I'm just messing with you and the Grayton Gang...)

It is a completely different issue, but the two are getting tangled up on this thread (which is my point.) Even so, I think that everyone agrees that the less crap you bring to the beach, the less likely it is that you're going to leave something there.
 
:lolabove:...me thinks it is your friends that have me confused this time! I can't even imagine that if I explained the rules of the beach to someone I knew and was vacationing with that they would completely dismiss me! Were these "grownups" or teenage types?

BTW...I sure would have listened to you. :wave:

The teenagers would have listened. It's the grownups who tend to break the rules. And y'all haven't figured out that I get no respect...
 
:rolling:Hee, hee...I just couldn't believe how much stuff the gang had down there Saturday! :blink: (I'm just messing with you and the Grayton Gang...)

It is a completely different issue, but the two are getting tangled up on this thread (which is my point.) Even so, I think that everyone agrees that the less crap you bring to the beach, the less likely it is that you're going to leave something there.

I'm not seeing any tangling- you brought in the car issue. They are completely separate issues. We don't leave anything behind, and like most permitted vehicles, probably leave less on the beach than before we arrived, since we are picking up everybody else's trash and abandoned crap, and taking it home to OUR garbage. So no, I don't think many of us would agree with your logic. We have our chairs, toys, umbrella, and are able to pack a big cooler and stay for the day. Would we take all this stuff without a beach vehicle? Why not? I can carry stuff and so can my family.

We pack extra flashlights to clean our entire area (and then some) after dark.
 
I'm not seeing any tangling- you brought in the car issue. They are completely separate issues. We don't leave anything behind, and like most permitted vehicles, probably leave less on the beach than before we arrived, since we are picking up everybody else's trash and abandoned crap, and taking it home to OUR garbage. So no, I don't think many of us would agree with your logic. We have our chairs, toys, umbrella, and are able to pack a big cooler and stay for the day. Would we take all this stuff without a beach vehicle? Why not? I can carry stuff and so can my family.

We pack extra flashlights to clean our entire area (and then some) after dark.

I know firsthand that this is the truth, but you know that you're not the norm.

Don't accuse me of being logical, JDarg--you know that half the time I operate on a stream of consciousness! I was just thinking that the tourist mentality is so irresponsible that it's a good thing that they don't have the convenience of bringing a vehicle to the beach...I can't imagine all the crap they would schlep down there and leave all weekend/week.
 
I know firsthand that this is the truth, but you know that you're not the norm.

Don't accuse me of being logical, JDarg--you know that half the time I operate on a stream of consciousness! I was just thinking that the tourist mentality is so irresponsible that it's a good thing that they don't have the convenience of bringing a vehicle to the beach...I can't imagine all the crap they would schlep down there and leave all weekend/week.

If you go back and read post #2, I think you will see that it is not just "tourist mentality". I think it boils down to an utter lack of common sense and an absence of plain old doing the right thing. Subtracting out the law and the turtle ordinances in place, I wouldn't leave stuff out overnight for fear it would be taken.
 
:clap:

I really don't care how big you or the tent are or how many kids you have underfoot. All I hear are excuses and whining because you don't want to follow the rules.

As far as gender and size preventing you from doing something, my 5'-3" AARP card carrying mother would uproot your tent and bop you upside the head with it!

I'm going to go with my mother's logic on this one.

If you can put it up you can take it down. Quite frankly I'm surprised that someone hasn't lost it over the poor little defenseless lady routine your using to justify what seems to be plain laziness.

I'm going to go with the fact that this is the internet and sometimes people forget that they're talking about real human beings who have feelings. I'm not lazy. Ask anyone here who KNOWS me. :idontno:
 
If you go back and read post #2, I think you will see that it is not just "tourist mentality". I think it boils down to an utter lack of common sense and an absence of plain old doing the right thing. Subtracting out the law and the turtle ordinances in place, I wouldn't leave stuff out overnight for fear it would be taken.

I love being the whipping boy...you know I would play devil's advocate all night if it weren't for the fact that my bath water is getting cold as we speak.

You're right--it's not the tourist mentality then. (Although the "local" in post #2 isn't the one who actually has the babies who must have a tent.)

We have a mentality of "What can I get away with?" Rules that are not enforced cease to be rules, don't you think? I'm having one of my rare cynical moments, but it seems to me that very few people concern themselves with "doing the right thing." They do what's right for them at the moment. Isn't that what all this boils down to?
 
It is turtle season so get the fu____ stuff off the beach at night! Sorry, got a bit carried away but the beach has been looking terrible and our season has barely started. Those turtles don't stand a chance to lay their eggs with all the crap left behind at night but I did happen to see two nests near Deer Lake today. Yea!!!!!
Also, rental chairs MUST be picked up every night at the end of the day and stored off the beach. Vendors are subject to losing their license if they don't comply with the current beach ordinance. However, "Beach Chairs For U" never, never picks up and had a few unpleasant encounters with them when we lived on the beach which I would rather not get into. The County even knows they don't remove chairs at the end of the day because I have reported them several times. However, it is the same old problem. The County does not enforce anything around here and has not enforced the Beach Ordinance since it was written a few years ago. Shame but those signs make us all look like fools. You know, those signs that say items will be picked up if not removed, no exceptions!!!!! No wonder people ignor our signs because the County doesn't do anything to follow up anyway. Oops, think I said that all before too.
The person to contact is the Beach Activities Coordinater and the # is posted in the Walton Sun. I have not gotten as involved lately since it was like "beating a dead horse" so to speak. Oops, just got my hands on a Walton Sun and there is no longer a Beach Activities Coordinater so maybe that is the problem.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top