• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Favorite restaurants

New posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
OnMackBayou said:
It has quite a different ambience than 30-A, but Baytowne Wharf at Sandestin has several good seafood spots. There, my favorite place for fried shrimp and oysters is Poppy's Seafood Factory. They do a version of it several different ways, including Caribbean panne. Very, very good.

Poppy's also does calamari very, very well. But I've had fried softshell crab there that was just ordinary. Not that one would go to a "seafood factory" for beef, but the prime rib on their menu was priced at $50 :shock:

Acme in Baytowne also has traditional fried seafood and poboys. Their fries with brown debris gravy (really!) are great. Stay away from the gumbo and jambalaya - for reasons unknown this Louisiana restaurant can't do Louisiana food right. :idontno:
 
LOVE those sweet potato fries at Acme!!!
 
Tootsie said:
Smiling Fish is the best. :D

Yianni's - just okay / not great IMO

I have not tried Smiling Fish yet - will do that in August when I come down but I have tried Yianni's and I agree that it was just okay.
 
Linda said:
I have not tried Smiling Fish yet - will do that in August when I come down but I have tried Yianni's and I agree that it was just okay.

We went to Yianni's right after they opened. We haven't been in awhile. Maybe they had their game on to entice business. My bad.:oops:
 
drsvelte said:
Poppy's also does calamari very, very well. But I've had fried softshell crab there that was just ordinary. Not that one would go to a "seafood factory" for beef, but the prime rib on their menu was priced at $50 :shock:

Acme in Baytowne also has traditional fried seafood and poboys. Their fries with brown debris gravy (really!) are great. Stay away from the gumbo and jambalaya - for reasons unknown this Louisiana restaurant can't do Louisiana food right. :idontno:
I didn't know there was an Acme in Sandestin! Being a Tulane grad, I've been to the one on Iberville hundreds of times. Are the po-boys in Sandestin as good? Do they ship in French bread from NOLA? I've never had French bread that tastes as good as in that town - so crispy on the outside and light on the inside.
 
RiverOtter said:
There is a Nicks on the Bay in Freeport. It's on Hwy 20 after the 331 intersection about 6 or 7 miles. Man it's a dive! But a very clean dive! Awesome view, super nice people, same good food. We ate there leaving the beach last Sunday. It was a great experience and we had never seen that view before. Also the breeze off the bay was awesome :cool:


no fair! we wanted to go! let's do it next time...

:pissed:
 
Beach Runner said:
I didn't know there was an Acme in Sandestin! Being a Tulane grad, I've been to the one on Iberville hundreds of times. Are the po-boys in Sandestin as good? Do they ship in French bread from NOLA? I've never had French bread that tastes as good as in that town - so crispy on the outside and light on the inside.

Acme is branching out. They have restaurant in Covington/Mandeville and are planning one for Baton Rouge. The po-boys in Sandestin taste just like the Quarter, but I don't know about the bread (I thought they used Leidenheimer). Oysters are great, too. Getting hungry. :D
 
drsvelte said:
Acme is branching out. They have restaurant in Covington/Mandeville and are planning one for Baton Rouge. The po-boys in Sandestin taste just like the Quarter, but I don't know about the bread (I thought they used Leidenheimer). Oysters are great, too. Getting hungry. :D
Thanks! It's been so long since I lived in NOLA that I can't remember the brand name of the French bread that came in the white paper bags. It's so good.
 
RiverOtter said:
There is a Nicks on the Bay in Freeport. It's on Hwy 20 after the 331 intersection about 6 or 7 miles. Man it's a dive! But a very clean dive! Awesome view, super nice people, same good food. We ate there leaving the beach last Sunday. It was a great experience and we had never seen that view before. Also the breeze off the bay was awesome :cool:


Thanks for the tip! I actually drove by there last year when I decided to take the scenic route to VPS...you are right, it looked way different than Nick's on the Beach! I will surprise my son next time!
 
Pandora's has the best grilled grouper and ny strip that I've ever tasted. It is the oak logs.

The kitchen and wait staff are great, but the mgt seems to indifferent. I've heard of several ressie's that were bumped because they got a larger party. And for some reason they don't do take out food, which seems not only elitist, but poor management.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top