• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

fishing guides launching from beach

New posts
As far as I know there are only a handful of guides working off Grayton. The rest are folks with boats enjoying the beach. Some days when the weather and fishing are good there are a few more boats launched than normal. Many days of the year no boats are launched from the beach.

I haven't seen anyone turned away yet because they couldn't find a place to pitch their tent. Overall the beaches are getting more crowded and the number of vehicles with or without boats is climbing.
Fishing guides are property owners also so I'm not sure what your point about that is.

I just don't see it as a problem yet. Maybe there is more to your story?
 
bankei1974 said:
I think that you are missing the point. Property owners have every right in my opinion to drive their car onto the beach. Fishing guide who do this for profit should not be allowed to monopolize beach space to make a profit. would the sheriff run me off of the beach if I sat up a hut on the beach and sold stuff I made, I think so. People who do this for profit should move their vehicles off or away from the shore while fishing. I am very aware of the ordinances of your county and I think this should be addressed. what will you do when there are thirty trucks and trailers out on the beach and no beach space for six or seven hundred yard? Will you go to the state park?

When in Grayton I ALWAYS cross the lake outlet to set up the 'spot'. No trucks, no vendors, decreased humanity...in short, tranquility! Try it :D
 
30A Skunkape said:
When in Grayton I ALWAYS cross the lake outlet to set up the 'spot'. No trucks, no vendors, decreased humanity...in short, tranquility! Try it :D

The lake outlet is closed more than it is open, more so since Dennis. There are no vendors on Grayton Beach. But it is easy to walk a bit and have all the room and more you need. ;-)
 
evryone there launches from that beach since there is no close harbor, and all must have permits to do so or call them in immediately to the sherrif

leaking or nasty cars or trailers dripping stuff onto the beach should be called into the sherrif

boat launching from the beach, for anything bigger than 18 footer, especially in waves, is an invitation to disaster, and i tend to think of it more as entertainment rather than trouble - not going to catch me out there doing that to any of my boats, but its always fun to watch the circus, especially from a shady lounge chair holding a frosty drink with a little umbrella and three maraschino cherries in it somewhere!

hint:if the boat people don't park close to the water then idiots will set up a whole tent city behind them and block their path to the water when they come back in and need to get their boat out - oh, if i only had the cahones to be such an idiot, especially as i'd probably add fuel to the fire by pretending to be not about to move, deaf, unable to speak, and totally retarded! ;-)

i know it wouldn't solve anything but would silently signify my protest, and who knows, maybe the trailer owner will fly off the handle aftger a long hot day of uproductive fishing and shoot you, then you can sue him!
 
Most likely the guides are long time locals. Unfortunately tourists and nouveau riche arrivistes don't want anyone on "their" beach.

Oh, and I'd also like to complain about the illegal and harmful seawalls placed by McMansion owners.

And another thing......
 
"...if this trend continues it will push us tourist (sic) off the beaches."

Yes, yes, yes! A dream come true.
 
bankei1974 said:
my analogy is still correct, their vehicles occupy space on the beach for profit. And how many guides would have to occupy beach space before you became annoyed?
Your analogy doesn't take into account that the "guides" are property owners and buy permits for this just as I and many other people on this board do. Its one of those things that was approved by our county government many years ago when hardly anyone gave a s--t what anyone else did in Walton County. I think its kinda cool and makes for some good photos by SJ and Kurt that we all enjoy. And like Kurt said, hardly any of the boats being launched are by guides but by local property owners.
 
I surrender, I just thought this should be mentioned. At some point in the future, I foresee this issue cropping up with your local goverment as the local population grows. I just thought I would get people thinking and noticing it a little.
 
bankei1974 said:
I surrender, I just thought this should be mentioned. At some point in the future, I foresee this issue cropping up with your local goverment as the local population grows. I just thought I would get people thinking and noticing it a little.

At some point vehicles will be strongly curtailed and probably banned all together, but the boat launch permits will be the last to go. I doubt commercial guides will ever e banned from launching at Grayton Beach barring some extreme problem, since there is no other way to get to the gulf except a 45-60 minute trip in the bay. There are a lot of visitors that appreciate fresh fish.

I appreciate your comments. :clap_1:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top