• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Food storage

New posts
If you have something in the freezer for two years, how would you know, other than looks, if it was fit for human consumption?

Funny that you should ask this because today I spent the day giving the fridge and freezer a long overdue cleaning/clean-out. It was a very profitable day as I found a nice bottle of micro brew in the back. :biggrin: Anyway, this is the website you want:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/foodsafety/store/cold.html
 
When we bring shrimp back from Sowal, I bag it in portions for two in zip top bags. I fill them with water and draw off the air. The shrimp are in a solid block of ice where the moisture cannot be drawn out. I've eaten them over a year later, and they still tasted brand new fresh!
 
When we bring shrimp back from Sowal, I bag it in portions for two in zip top bags. I fill them with water and draw off the air. The shrimp are in a solid block of ice where the moisture cannot be drawn out. I've eaten them over a year later, and they still tasted brand new fresh!

This works with almost any seafood. The trick is to make sure you are freezing fresh seafood. Refrozen shrimp will turn into a disgusting mush when cooked.

Adding salt to the water is a bad idea. If possible use distilled water too.
 
I'll go with the shrimp in water in baggie trick too. That has worked for us in the past. Although, since late 2004 and because we no longer have to grow/raise our own food, I get nervous if it is hurricane season and there is too much "good" food in the freezer. Case in point - we lost 40 lbs of shrimp after Ivan. :cry: Taking it out five days later was most unappealing. :puke:

GOP, don't eat the chicken. It's probably "safe," but I'd guarantee it's fburned.
 
I'll go with the shrimp in water in baggie trick too. That has worked for us in the past. Although, since late 2004 and because we no longer have to grow/raise our own food, I get nervous if it is hurricane season and there is too much "good" food in the freezer. Case in point - we lost 40 lbs of shrimp after Ivan. :cry: Taking it out five days later was most unappealing. :puke:

GOP, don't eat the chicken. It's probably "safe," but I'd guarantee it's fburned.

I would not have eaten it. Just tell your son to avoid the chicken during the day.
 
ShallowsNole, you should have had a Shrimp Boil when the 40# of shrimp thawed. Hurricane Evacs make for great eating.

Unfortunately, I wasn't here for the thawing. :( Being as I had Squirt, two cats in carriers, a Labrador, important papers and food for all of the above in a Camry, I wasn't thinking about the shrimp. :roll:

I am, however, most glad that I insisted on a drain in the floor of our laundry/freezer/spare toilet/tornado warning room. :cool:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top