• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Franchises and Chains

New posts

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Okay, it sounds like some people need to say some things about franchises and chains coming into SoWal. What are your thoughts? Personally, I welcome Publix, and maybe a FedEx/Kinkos, which we dont currently have, but I cannot think of any others which I would like to have in SoWal. One major problem that I see is that most small business owners which would be the competition for the chains, do not have enough cash to get started, much less compete.
 
Smiling JOe said:
Okay, it sounds like some people need to say some things about franchises and chains coming into SoWal. What are your thoughts? Personally, I welcome Publix, and maybe a FedEx/Kinkos, which we dont currently have, but I cannot think of any others which I would like to have in SoWal. One major problem that I see is that most small business owners which would be the competition for the chains, do not have enough cash to get started, much less compete.

IMO, some of these chains and franchises are fine and actually enhance your visit to the beach...Publix. As long as they stay OFF 30-A and add value to the local's life, I am fine with them. I do not favor ANY fast food chains...keep those on 98! Most immediate need I see, is affordable apartments for our service folks...have any started nearby?
 
Smiling JOe said:
Okay, it sounds like some people need to say some things about franchises and chains coming into SoWal. What are your thoughts? Personally, I welcome Publix, and maybe a FedEx/Kinkos, which we dont currently have, but I cannot think of any others which I would like to have in SoWal. One major problem that I see is that most small business owners which would be the competition for the chains, do not have enough cash to get started, much less compete.
I'd rather drive to the Publix in Sandestin than have it in the neighborhood, and I've always loved Publix stores. It just sets a bad precedence for big chains in our area. In my opinion the concentration of traffic that exists now at the intersection of 395 and 30-A is largely due to Publix traffic.
 
The Tom Thumb's were grandfathered--I'll accept that. But how did the Starbucks and the brand new Subway get in? I heard a rumor that they found a loophole in the regs by having their storefront not face the road, but I don't know whether that is true or not.
 
SlowMovin said:
The Tom Thumb's were grandfathered--I'll accept that. But how did the Starbucks and the brand new Subway get in? I heard a rumor that they found a loophole in the regs by having their storefront not face the road, but I don't know whether that is true or not.
I agree about Tom Thumb. But ditto on the other question.
 
I was very disappointed to see the Subway sign a couple weeks ago. Part of the charm of Sowal is that eateries are small and locally owned. I hope we don't see any additional chains along 30-a.
 
I agree that it's good to keep most chains off 30A -- e.g., subway. Is there anything the local citizens who get to vote can do about this at town meetings?
 
Next best thing to Fed Ex/Kinkos, is our UPS Store at Watercolor Crossing, on 395. It's located to the left of Publix, ;-) for those not familiar. They offer copying, faxing, mailing packages, etc., just not quite as many services, probably. I use to be in Commercial Real Estate, you can bet that their rent's up there! :eek:


Smiling JOe said:
Okay, it sounds like some people need to say some things about franchises and chains coming into SoWal. What are your thoughts? Personally, I welcome Publix, and maybe a FedEx/Kinkos, which we dont currently have, but I cannot think of any others which I would like to have in SoWal. One major problem that I see is that most small business owners which would be the competition for the chains, do not have enough cash to get started, much less compete.
 
:idontno: What am I missing? Where's Subway, on 30A?

wallymom said:
I was very disappointed to see the Subway sign a couple weeks ago. Part of the charm of Sowal is that eateries are small and locally owned. I hope we don't see any additional chains along 30-a.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top