• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Franchises and Chains

New posts
ktschris said:
Seaside has a chain...RollyPolly Sandwiches, how'd they get in there? :idontno:


Good point!!!
 
Smiling JOe said:
I would really like folks to address chains and franchises in all of SoWal from Publix in Sandestin to the Bay County line. Mostly, people seem much more concerned with only 30-A. I guess if Walmart proposed a site on 98 north of Blue Mtn Beach, people may have different thoughts on chains on 98. When the chains and franchises begin building on Hwy 98 in SoWal, 30-A is only one step away.

Not if nobody sells them the land...

Again, I could stand a chain or two on 98/331 as the primary thoroughfares. I'm thinking food here, not big box stores, but I guess you can't have one and exclude the other.

However, in comparison, A1A and U.S. 1 on Florida's east coast spring to mind. If you are in a hotel on A1A and want to find "chain" food (picture a hungry government employee on a $12.00 dinner per diem), most of the time you will have to get off the beach and hit U.S. 1. Planned? I don't know. Driven by the market, to locate the franchise restaurants closer to the population center? Probably.

While there is no comparison to our beautiful 30-A and U.S. 98, perhaps that is the type of activity citizens could encourage. After all, Crystal Beach drove Home Depot off the south side of 98 in their neighborhood...and Commons Boulevard turned out to be a much better fit.
 
ShallowsNole said:
Not if nobody sells them the land...

Usally, the big stores have other companies purchase the land for them, so you never know to whom you may be selling. Some people worship Wal-mart, and would love to sell them some high priced land.
 
I bet you will be seeing Subway sandwich wrappers, and Starbucks coffee cups tossed on the beach soon. It just seems that quick, semi-mindless gotta have it now mentality and the selfish act of littering go together.
 
Bob said:
I bet you will be seeing Subway sandwich wrappers, and Starbucks coffee cups tossed on the beach soon. It just seems that quick, semi-mindless gotta have it now mentality and the selfish act of littering go together.

Fortunately, the beach is usually to hot to see people drinking coffee while at the beach. I do think you the nail on the head, though. These convenient processed crap places that serve something which we think of as food, help us to don the I-want-the-easy-way hat. It affects much more than our health, even if they are located on Hwy 98.
 
Unfortunately, a lot of people do have to have it now. My life, and those of most of the other working parents I know, is not nearly as laid-back as I'd like it to be. :blink:
 
Litterers drop everything wherever they want regardless of the junk's point of origin. We were at Topsail Hill over the weekend- didn't see anyone else on the beach, and only 4 cars in the 98 side parking lot, and we still saw multiple plastic cups with the Sandestin logo on them junking up on the beach .
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top