Smiling JOe
SoWal Expert
Two ideas:
1. Get the airplanes that fly with the banners ... fly a "There May or May Not Be Sharks in the Water". Anything to get people out of the water.
2. Since the sheriff's department and fire/lifeguard departments are really undermanned, why not create a network of volunteers that would be able to go to their designated beach area when red flags are posted and advise people on the beach.
Aside from these and the existing flag system, residents are just going to get out of their comfort zone and tell people around us that they need to get out of the water when red flags are flying.
Just curious as to how you think it would benefit anyone by having a plane fly a banner which states that there "may not be sharks in the water?"
On the other idea, I don't tell anyone about the flags unless they ask, or if I overhear their conversation questioning the flags' meanings. People often tell me that they are pretty much told to F O when informing "swimmers" that they shouldn't be in the water.
Days like today, when the currents are pushing at least 3 mph and the seas are rough as they were, I am surprised to see that the double reds weren't flying. I just don't get that. On recent Chamber of Commerce days (picture perfect flat water), I've seen yellow flages flying, and today, not closed water?
I'm really getting to the point where my philosophy is "sink or swim, or stay out of the *^#@#@ %$%@ water!"
Last edited:
Parents were letting small kids play and boogie board in the more shallow water and I really was afraid one of them would get swept away. I'm sure they thought that was "okay" and nothing would happen to them. Thank God nothing did happen.