• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Heed the red flag, folks

New posts
TooFarTampa said:
This is just harrowing. Paula once again I have to say I like your style.

Question about the flag system: I don't know if I've ever noticed that there is a flagpole near our beach access for Seacrest/Sunset Beach, though I've seen them elsewhere. Anyone know if there one? If not, how will our guests know the conditions? Is there a phone number they can dial so I can make our guests aware? Is the daily flag color listed online somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, on the home page of www.swfd.org (South Walton Fire District)
 
Franny said:
That is an excellent idea SJ. It appears the man in south walton went in after his daughters. They managed to get out of the rip tide but he could not. He was breathing when he was Air Hearted. Also heard that someone was ticketed $250 for going into the water with double red flags flying. Hope this is true.

Well, I know my day is coming when I could be standing there on the beach trying to make that life or death decision, and a lifevest is an easy choice, esp since I already own them to use with my kayaks.

Note, never go in without one because a drowning person will put you under if it means they could survive -- just survival instinct that is not easily over-written.

If you ever go in to rescue, grab a floatation device of some sort before you do!
 
Blurb from the Daily News on the Seagrove case:

"The man, whose name was not released, swallowed salt water and suffered from exhaustion. He was airlifted to Sacred Heart Hospital."

No condition for the man was given in the report.
 
beachmouse said:
The man, whose name was not released, swallowed salt water and suffered from exhaustion.

My neighbor said the lifeguard told her the guy was out there 40 minutes before he was rescued.
 
Rip currents claim more victims



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 22, 2006
By Gwen Break/The Sun
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Three people were transported to area hospitals on Tuesday, one by air ambulance, after getting caught in rip tides near Eastern Lake in the Gulf of Mexico around 10:15 a.m.
According to South Walton Fire District Deputy Chief Sean Hughes, two teen girls were on the beach when rescue officials arrived. A third victim, father to one of the girls, was approximately 250 yards offshore.
The man was in the water for about 30 minutes before rescuers could launch a personal water device and reach the man and affect a rescue.
The man had apparently gone into the water to rescue the two girls who got into trouble while swimming. He became separated and was pulled out by rip tides.
Once on the beach he was transported by AirHeart to Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast.
Both SWFD and Sacred Heart refused to release information on any of the victims citing HIPPA regulations.
At the time of the rescue, there was a red flag posted in one direction and a yellow flag in the other as they were in the process of being changed, said Hughes.
To the east in Bay County, an international student enrolled at an Alabama college drowned in the Gulf of later that day, according to a Panama City Beach police official.
Maj. David Humphreys said police are investigating the death of the 23-year-old Uzbekistan man who was pulled from the water behind Club La Vela at about 3:45 p.m.
He was an inexperienced swimmer and according to police officials, the victim?s roommate said despite the red flags, they were in the water together most of the day. The roommate told police they were in chest-deep water when the current began to pull the 23-year-old away from shore.
Rescue officials cautioned area visitors to look for the warning flags on the beach and heed them. A yellow flag indicates swimmers should use caution as conditions are favorable for developing hazards. A red flag indicates extremely dangerous conditions exist. Double red flags mean the water is closed to swimming.
In Walton County, those entering the water on a double red flag can be assessed a $200 fine.
This is the first year Walton County lifeguards are on duty at public beaches. On Tuesday, the nearest lifeguard to Eastern Lake was at the Santa Clara public beach access, approximately one mile to the west. The lifeguard there did run the mile to assist in rescue efforts.
Beach goers can check which flags are flying before departing by logging on to www.waltonsun.com or www.swfd.org.

Reporter Paul L. Mikolajczyk, of the News Herald in Panama City, also contributed to this article.
 
TooFarTampa said:
This is just harrowing. Paula once again I have to say I like your style.

Question about the flag system: I don't know if I've ever noticed that there is a flagpole near our beach access for Seacrest/Sunset Beach, though I've seen them elsewhere. Anyone know if there one? If not, how will our guests know the conditions? Is there a phone number they can dial so I can make our guests aware? Is the daily flag color listed online somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the kind words, Cork and TooFarTampa, and for the link to swfd.com SJ. Calling guests is one way to keep them safe, and I also get to know what's going on because I ask about the beaches and area. I also get ideas for what I could do in the cottages for future guests as well.

From our beach access across from the Cottages at Camp Creek, the flag pole is between 1/4 - 1/2 mile west. It's a bit tricky to see and you sometimes have to walk toward it to see it, but it's well worth the short walk to check.
 
Thanks for the link SJ. I am going to have to provide it to my renters and check out the location of the flag the next time I'm up there. Once again this is a good reminder to help guide our visitors by giving them local information.
 
TooFarTampa said:
Thanks for the link SJ. I am going to have to provide it to my renters and check out the location of the flag the next time I'm up there. Once again this is a good reminder to help guide our visitors by giving them local information.

TFT,
I am almost positive the flag that is visible from our access is at Rosemary Beach.
 
Smiling JOe said:
That is why I keep a life jacket in each of my cars. ;-)
I also keep a mask and medical gloves in my car after confronting an auto accident several years ago and being fearful of getting HIV, hep, or whatever from being exposed to blood from the injured persons. When this situation happened, I was haunted for days with regret for leaving the victims and merely driving to the closest phone (didn't have a cell phone with me), yet assured that I had made the right decision to protect myself, and indirectly my family, from a life-threatening disease. Now with gloves, etc., in my car I don't have that monkey on my back.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top