• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

housing prices

New posts

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Yesterday, I spent a while looking at Kurt's video tours..Great Work! I saw a place at Carillion Beach that seemed to cost a less than properties further west. Is this because this area isn't as highly desired as say Watercolor or Grayton Beach? The video tour I looked at appeared to have a good beach access and view. Enlighten please. :confused:
 
That is the one. Looks like a nice place.
 
I like Carillon. It is somewhat similar to Seaside as far as house designs but larger lots and streets, with no highway separating homes from the gulf. It is more of a subdivision than a "village" like Seaside.

It did seem like a good price - only $2mil :lol:
 
iwishiwasthere said:
Yesterday, I spent a while looking at Kurt's video tours..Great Work! I saw a place at Carillion Beach that seemed to cost a less than properties further west. Is this because this area isn't as highly desired as say Watercolor or Grayton Beach? The video tour I looked at appeared to have a good beach access and view. Enlighten please. :confused:
Good question iwishiwasthere! I would be really interested in hearing anybodys views on this too.
 
I think one big reason is that many people do not want to be in Panama City Beach (Bay County), where Carillon is located. Also, for a long time, there was not much at that end of 30-A, so most shopping and eating was done in Carillon or PCB. Now, things are changing a bit with both, people's perception of PCB and more things to do and places to visit on the east end of 30A, so the prices may be ready for a slight shift up.
 
I stayed at the west end of Panama City Beach one night last year and had the feeling that if someone couldn't buy on 30A or Destin, the west end of Panama City Beach would be a nice and affordable alternative. There was a one bedroom with bunks in hallway condo going for low $200s in Horizon South. It was nice enough -- not an upscale complex, but it was certainly nice and would get someone a place at the beach (the beach was beautiful) quite comfortably. I would have been happy with it. What do others think? What's going to be happening on the west end of PCB? Are there going to be more high rises there (I liked it that there weren't many high rises, but I don't know what's planned for the future)? Most development (e.g., high rises) seems to be happening on the other end of PCB and I can't figure out why.
 
Paula said:
I stayed at the west end of Panama City Beach one night last year and had the feeling that if someone couldn't buy on 30A or Destin, the west end of Panama City Beach would be a nice and affordable alternative. There was a one bedroom with bunks in hallway condo going for low $200s in Horizon South. It was nice enough -- not an upscale complex, but it was certainly nice and would get someone a place at the beach (the beach was beautiful) quite comfortably. I would have been happy with it. What do others think? What's going to be happening on the west end of PCB? Are there going to be more high rises there (I liked it that there weren't many high rises, but I don't know what's planned for the future)? Most development (e.g., high rises) seems to be happening on the other end of PCB and I can't figure out why.
The Nauticus, a one hundred unit tower located about 1 mile from Hwy 98 on Front Beach drive is preselling currently. Currently, it is an old motel on the beach. I think there are 102 parking spaces. :bang: More towers are scheduled to go in on that end of the beach. With time, that end will grow in value and the mobile homes will be weeded out or lost in a storm. The question is, who is willing to wait? The beach is definitely dirtier down in PCB with more cigarette butts and bottle tops, etc than SoWal, but the water is the same emerald green color. Prices are fairly high in my opinion, for what you get today.
 
Thanks. It will be interesting to see how PCB is doing 10 years from now. I was impressed by the beach there, both by Pier Park and at the west end. I definitely think SoWal is more beautiful (and will stay that way because we won't have the high rises and some of SoWal is protected from development), but I think PCB is going to go upscale in a big way in the next 10 years or so and will fit the needs of many people.

Since our place is on the east end of 30A, we tend to go toward Panama City beach when we get out of SoWal rather than Destin because PCB is so much closer. Every now and then we go to Thomas's and get some nice cheap donuts in Panama City Beach. Having grown up in a family that owned a luncheonette, I now realize how difficult it is to get a nice cheap donut and cup of coffee these days now that Starbucks has taken over. So, maybe it's the donuts that make me think so highly of PCB. Brings back fond memories.
 
Paula, your cottages are very close to one of the best donut places around and their prices are extremely reasonable, too. Do you know about The Donut Hole, which is on Highway 98, just south of where it intersects with 30A? It's not much to look at, in fact, looks like a gingerbreaded double-wide. But they do a Southern breakfast that is great, also offer nice lunches and a full bakery. My husband loves to go there. I do not recommend the restrooms, however. :shock:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top