• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

How low can it go?

New posts
Bobby J, You are welcome,I hope you do sell all the homes that you have been pushing.
You seem to be a really good realtor and on top of the business in the market.We have been looking for several years,have not pulled the trigger,but it's getting close. Too bad that everyone can't conduct business the way you seem to. Good Luck on your business.
 
Bobby,

There are very nice oceanfront areas that are still valued well under 30A. Examples include the Palm Coast area of Florida (oceanfront lot in beautiful ocean front golf community for $999k http://www.hammockdunes.com/viewlot.asp?ID=198versus $2 million for similar properties in planned communities along 30A or oceanfront home for $999k http://www.bobvila.com/RealEstate/Property-537281635.html), or how about Amelia Island Plantation, and georgeous, uncrowded oceanfront resort with tremendous golf courses (5300 square foot home for $1.9 million http://realestate.aipfl.com/details.cfm?id=367when similar type listings in Watercolor, Watersound or Rosemary would be listed for over $3 million) or Marco Island, Florida (http://www.marcoisland.com/realestate/homesearch/homesearch_details.asp?LID=28227. The list goes on, and on including Hilton Head, Nags Head, Wild Dunes, Kiawah, etc, etc.

There are plenty of great places with as good or better values than along 30A. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder--some people love the panhandle, some don't. I do prefer 30A to any of those places but have plenty of friends that do not agree.
Kiawah has only a few single family homes for sale under a million on the entirety of that ten mile island.
 
Sort of right! I will take it. That is the nicest thing anyone said to me today. GoDawg, can't thank you enough for your avatar! :biggrin:


Sure thing.

GaDawg, loose that tar, and you're ourt of here, banned for life:rofl::clap::floor::funn:
 
Kiawah has only a few single family homes for sale under a million on the entirety of that ten mile island.

You can do better research than that can't you?

http://www.kiawahisland.com/real_estate/search-iframe.php?kwd=&ay=&bth=&br=&n=&pt=hc&v=&bmx=null&bmn=70000

Remember, Kiawah is a very high end development with lots more amenities than any area along 30A including the championship golf courses, tennis club, etc. So, comparing to the highest end properties along 30A, Kiawah has some much better values overall. I counted 35 out of 174 homes under $1 million. I don't think you will find that kind of ratio in any of the premier developements along 30A including Watercolor, Watersound, Alys or Rosemary. In addition, many of the high dollar homes in Kiawah sit on large lots (some up to an acre oceanfront) versus the postage stamp lots along 30A. Kiawah appears to be a better value than 30A. Again, I prefer 30A, but not everyone does. So, apples to apples, Kiawah is a much better value.
 
Last edited:
Kiawah has a very different topography, lots of swamp areas (Excuse me, natural wetlands) that are protected. They have the outer gates and the inner gates with different levels of properties.

The down side is, to me, the water is Atlantic and the sand is not nearly so nice.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
 
You can do better research than that can't you?

http://www.kiawahisland.com/real_estate/search-iframe.php?kwd=&ay=&bth=&br=&n=&pt=hc&v=&bmx=null&bmn=70000

Remember, Kiawah is a very high end development with lots more amenities than any area along 30A including the championship golf courses, tennis club, etc. So, comparing to the highest end properties along 30A, Kiawah has some much better values overall. I counted 35 out of 174 homes under $1 million. I don't think you will find that kind of ratio in any of the premier developements along 30A including Watercolor, Watersound, Alys or Rosemary. In addition, many of the high dollar homes in Kiawah sit on large lots (some up to an acre oceanfront) versus the postage stamp lots along 30A. Kiawah appears to be a better value than 30A. Again, I prefer 30A, but not everyone does. So, apples to apples, Kiawah is a much better value.
I vacationed at Kiawah for 10 years in a row starting in 1989[twice] renting homes one block from the ocean to oceanfront most recently. My wife's aunt owns a new construction home near the River Course, I believe behind the second gate in Vanderhorst. I met and know the Realtor, Jeanne Cambell, living currently in Beaufort SC, who listed the entire Island for one million dollars for the widow of the owner who had purchased it in the 50s for 125k. It did not sell. I believe in 1974 Kiawah sold for about 14 million, bought by a Kuwati consortium. Currently I see 5 SFRs under 1 million on Kiawah on Realtor.com. You cannot compare Kiawah to 30A because the island is private, save for a public access at the western end. Lot sizes vary, but they run the gamut. Development has been going on since the 70s with some 50s homes on Eugenia Ave. For the infrastructure and security on the island, you pay at closing, and going forward based on the amenities used and memberships available. The beaches at Kiawah are flat and wide, and look like muddy sand. Have you ever set foot on the island?
 
Last edited:
I vacationed at Kiawah for 10 years in a row starting in 1989[twice] renting homes one block from the ocean to oceanfront most recently. My wife's aunt owns a new construction home near the River Course, I believe behind the second gate in Vanderhorst. I met and know the Realtor, Jeanne Cambell, living currently in Beaufort SC, who listed the entire Island for one million dollars for the widow of the owner who had purchased it in the 50s for 125k. It did not sell. I believe in 1974 Kiawah sold for about 14 million, bought by a Kuwati consortium. Currently I see 5 SFRs under 1 million on Kiawah on Realtor.com. You cannot compare Kiawah to 30A because the island is private, save for a public access at the western end. Lot sizes vary, but they run the gamut. Development has been going on since the 70s with some 50s homes on Eugenia Ave. For the infrastructure and security on the island, you pay at closing, and going forward based on the amenities used and memberships available. The beaches at Kiawah are flat and wide, and look like muddy sand. Have you ever set foot on the island?

Five times since the mid 80's (nice beaches, beautiful greenery compared to the pine forests that dominate 30A, championship caliber golf, great tennis venue, beautiful hotel, etc). Also, lots of time at Hilton Head, Amelia, Palm Coast, Ft. Lauderdale and lesser vacation time at Miami, Naples, Pawleys Island, Wild Dunes, La Jolla, Del Mar, Malibu, Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach and Orange Beach. But, that doesn't matter as I am not questioning the qualitative aspects of Kiawah versus 30A.

You stated that there were only a few homes under a million. I found 35 on the site referenced in the message. Realtor.com is a lousy place to look for homes for sale compared to more robust local sites such as Emeraldcoasthomesonline.

Again, I prefer 30A. But, obviously, lots of people prefer Kiawah and that's why they bought homes there. Some people like the flat wide beaches. Heck some people never even go to the beach even while they vacation in a beach community. Some would rather go fishing, some boating, some play golf, some play tennis, etc.

I was debating the original point made by Bobby that 30A is undervalued compared to other beach property. Clearly, it is not.
 
Last edited:
Five times since the mid 80's (nice beaches, beautiful greenery compared to the pine forests that dominate 30A, championship caliber golf, great tennis venue, beautiful hotel, etc). Also, lots of time at Hilton Head, Amelia, Palm Coast, Ft. Lauderdale and lesser vacation time at Miami, Naples, Pawleys Island, Wild Dunes, La Jolla, Del Mar, Malibu, Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach and Orange Beach. But, that doesn't matter as I am not questioning the qualitative aspects of Kiawah versus 30A.

You stated that there were only a few homes under a million. I found 35 on the site referenced in the message. Realtor.com is a lousy place to look for homes for sale compared to more robust local sites such as Emeraldcoasthomesonline.

Again, I prefer 30A. But, obviously, lots of people prefer Kiawah and that's why they bought homes there. Some people like the flat wide beaches. Heck some people never even go to the beach even while they vacation in a beach community. Some would rather go fishing, some boating, some play golf, some play tennis, etc.

I was debating the original point made by Bobby that 30A is undervalued compared to other beach property. Clearly, it is not.
You are looking at some attached homes and partial ownership. The fact is that SFR detached are very scarce under a million on that Island, and the venue is very exclusive, barring anyone but owners and guests. Based on dollar value, it is much more expensive to own on Kiawah. It's why you just can't waltz by the guard shack through gates one and two or use many of the clubs as guests unless the owner/members get you in. It's a much different animal altogether aimed at a very high demographic. You cannot even drive the streets looking for lots/homes unless accompanied by a Realtor or owner or as a residing guest. 30a is much undervalued because raw land prices are far lower than Kiawah. The 30A variety of architecture is much higher, as is the freedom of movement throughout the community. 30a is still a cheap date compared to many of those locations you mentioned. I've been to every spot you mentioned, and I choose 30A. 30A is greatly undervalued, and time will prove it. The owner's wife who listed Kiawah Island did so, because her husband was afraid the island was only worth the timber. He owned it all, and look how wrong he was.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top