• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Hump back Whales

New posts
great picture, but the boat, oh that chaps my arse.:angry:


Legally, the boat has to maintain a certain distance with it's engine on.
BUT, if the whale comes up to the boat while the boat is still, that is not illegal. I have seen many whales come up to small fishing/ charter boats and breach, play by flapping their fins, just eye the people on the boat, especially when there are children on board. Breaching, like in the photo, where the whale comes up out of the water, may also be a way to warn the boats they are coming. No one really knows for sure why they breach.

Excerpt:
Although marine biologists have paid recent attention to the endangered species of whales, they have not conducted enough research to know exactly why whales breach. Breaching occurs when a whale, especially a humpback, flips itself entirely out of the water, twists in midair, and lands loudly on its side. Tourists on whale-watching tours may think the cavorting mammals breach just to create photogenic moments, but it probably has more to do with communication, comfort, defense, or predatory behavior.

I'm not saying this boat didn't edge up the to whale slowly, but he may also be innocent. The whale could have just come close up to the boat.
 
Legally, the boat has to maintain a certain distance with it's engine on.
BUT, if the whale comes up to the boat while the boat is still, that is not illegal. I have seen many whales come up to small fishing/ charter boats and breach, play by flapping their fins, just eye the people on the boat, especially when there are children on board. Breaching, like in the photo, where the whale comes up out of the water, may also be a way to warn the boats they are coming. No one really knows for sure why they breach.

Excerpt:
Although marine biologists have paid recent attention to the endangered species of whales, they have not conducted enough research to know exactly why whales breach. Breaching occurs when a whale, especially a humpback, flips itself entirely out of the water, twists in midair, and lands loudly on its side. Tourists on whale-watching tours may think the cavorting mammals breach just to create photogenic moments, but it probably has more to do with communication, comfort, defense, or predatory behavior.

I'm not saying this boat didn't edge up the to whale slowly, but he may also be innocent. The whale could have just come close up to the boat.

OK, then I wish the whales had a higher IQ! :D
 
Think of how the dolphins love to come up to boats and play in the wake - same difference.

I want to see a whale! It's been years, so I'll probably get so excited I'll fall out of the boat! :blush:
 
This is just one of many pictures I have from whale watches. As you can see, the size of the boat is much larger than the ones in UT's pics. The whales are very close. These boats are not only watches that I go on, but are researchers conducting the watch. They film everything, what whales they saw, the behaviours, etc. The research boats know full well the laws, and abide by them carefully. The boaters may not have known the laws, may have crept up or followed the whale (which is ok, if you keep a certain distance) but, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. ;-)
 
I do think the picture of the whale in the Northwest Florida Daily News on the front page of the Local/State section said it was from Miramar Beach in South Walton. So, that is at least one picture from South Walton.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top