• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Hurricane Katrina - I

New posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hurricane Katrina

We were in Seagrove post Arlene / Pre Dennis. I feel soooo sorry for you folks down there. I work for an electric utility in TN. Our internal weather folks, who subscribe to numerous private services, says NHC's 11 am update will shift Katrina's track further west/south from the 5 AM track, and project a Cat 3 at landfall. The speed at which Katrina meets up with a frontal boundary moving southeast will determine where it hits the coast. :(
 
Re: Hurricane Katrina

jtnkelly said:
We were in Seagrove post Arlene / Pre Dennis. I feel soooo sorry for you folks down there. I work for an electric utility in TN. Our internal weather folks, who subscribe to numerous private services, says NHC's 11 am update will shift Katrina's track further west/south from the 5 AM track, and project a Cat 3 at landfall. The speed at which Katrina meets up with a frontal boundary moving southeast will determine where it hits the coast. :(

Perhaps you can give us an update at 11am.
 
Re: Hurricane Katrina

bsullie said:
Guess it's time to roll out the welcome mat for Jim Cantore. :bang: :bang:

My guess is that Jim will be in Pensacola and Mike Bettes will be in PCB. :lol: None of them will come to SoWal to report because they cannot get out when they need to.
 
Re: Hurricane Katrina

Beachlover2 said:
My son and his girlfriend are staying at our place until Monday - I guess it is time to make the phone call and tell them to look into getting flights out soon.
I would rather have them shorten their vacation than take the risk.
FYI, we were down before Dennis. We got the evacuation "order" Friday afternoon before the Sunday landfall. My sister was SCHEDULED on a Saturday flight at noon CT out of VPS (Eglin) that was cancelled. Don't wait... Even if you have flights and an exit plan, it could get disrupted.

Locals know this, visitors take heed: GET GASOLINE. You'll have a helluva time evacuating on fumes (trust me, I learned the hard way). Also, 331 is not the only way north (try 79) and I-10 is not the only E-W route (try US 90). Finally, for those hanging around but eventually leaving, the 331 bridge closes at winds of 40MPH (right SJ?).

Anyway, do your bidness and leave if you're leaving. Locals have much to do... Stay safe and think good thoughts.
 
Re: Hurricane Katrina

I am heartsick thinking about yet one more hurricane...and the damage yet again to the most beautiful place I know. (My office computer's wallpaper is a gorgeous pix we took of the beach when we were down a few weeks ago.)
Our thoughts and prayers are with all you ....let's hope that at least the eye hits further east than Sowal.
Godspeed to everyone.
 
Re: Hurricane Katrina

Any news about any mandatory evacuations? We are thinking about driving down tonight and boarding up tomorrow. Is anyone boarding up yet?
 
Re: Hurricane Katrina

Moondance said:
kimmifunn...?

Mats, wigs, high heels, lipstick, duct tape... :laughing1
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top