• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Is small the new big???

New posts
One book for you, with all the designs, less than 1250sf, is [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Book-Small-House-Designs-Award-Winning/dp/1579123651/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6581963-3098063?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185752576&sr=8-1"]The Big Book of Small House Designs[/ame]. Another is [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Good-House-Cheap-Adventures-Extraordinary/dp/1561587524/ref=pd_sim_b_3_img/105-6581963-3098063?ie=UTF8&qid=1185752576&sr=8-1"]Good House Cheap House: Adventures in Creating an Extraordinary Home at an Everyday Price [/ame]

Some designs are quite impressive. Remember that our population is aging and they will not be able to handle stairs as easily as younger people. Nor, will many want to be so spread out with only one or two people in the house. Insurance in the coastal areas will also push people to smaller homes, less expensive to replace. There are green aspects to smaller tighter homes, too. I've often said that a community calling itself green needs to be sure to keep the homes small, especially if the homes are empty much of the time.
 
I drove around yesterday looking at new developments/towns/communities in Sowal and West PCB for a customer. I am concerned at the number of really big houses, on tiny lots, that are in various stages of completion....and the communities are close to being empty.

Who is going to buy and live in all these places? Did anyone identify a market for these houses before they built them?

What so may people ask for is "a little Florida beach house.." but, there are none. The older ones were all torn down to make way for the big houses with granite countertops I guess.

I love to hug the trees...before they are bulldozed by a developer:eek:
 
Hey Chick, I moved from a 1,900 sq ft house (blt in 1940) so no thought to space to a 5,000 sq footer. I can honestly say I am ready to move down to 3,500 maybe 4,000 very well planned sq ft.

Happens all the time. That space looks good on paper. You and I should have rented all that space before we bought! :biggrin: I still don't know what people need with 7, 8 or more sq. ft.! :blink:
 
I drove around yesterday looking at new developments/towns/communities in Sowal and West PCB for a customer. I am concerned at the number of really big houses, on tiny lots, that are in various stages of completion....and the communities are close to being empty.

Who is going to buy and live in all these places? Did anyone identify a market for these houses before they built them?

The market was for the investulators...but they're all trying to dump and run now.


.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top