steele mama
Beach Fanatic
steeleing4 is talking about joining a bus load from Atl going to protest.
If I were still in Louisiana I'd be going to Jena for the protest tomorrow. For all of you who have lived in south Louisiana and think you know backwards racism, try the north part of the state. Shreveport, Alexandria, Natchitoches -- they make New Orleans seem enlightened by comparison. I actually had the mayor of a town about 20 miles from Jena call and demand that we contract with a white doctor no matter what the rate because the city employees didn't want to go to the sand [n word]. Apparently he'd been to Goa and thought all of India was covered in sandy beaches. It felt like the twilight zone.
I hope the protest tomorrow is peaceful and successful. Perhaps it will open a few eyes in that town, and things will begin to change, because JDarg is right -- none of those kids have a chance of getting out of that economically depressed hellhole if they go on indoctrinating their kids to hate.

jdarg, we live in a school district where the African-American/Caucasian ratio is very close to 50/50. It's unusual in that our part of the city has some of the most expensive homes in the area but is bordered by one of the most economically depressed cities. A house one street over from me sold recently, and one of the first things the new residents did after moving in was hang Confederate flags in their front windows. The first day I drove by the house, I literally stopped the car in disbelief. My oldest son's best friend lives within sight of that house, and he is African-American. I am absolutely sickened that this boy has to literally see this every day. I never cease to be amazed by how alive and well bigotry is.It is unbelievable that in this day and age, some parents are raising their children to think they are better than others because their skin is white. Sadly, the "ignorance cycle" is alive and well, and it will produce nothing but a bunch of backwards young adults. Such mentality only produces losers.