• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Just Now

New posts
Pretty June Grass in Seagrove Beach

170608-seagrove-pan-001-Pano-sowal-2000.jpg
 
I keep seeing 3 of these flying around my neighborhood. I have never seen them before and of course I never have my camera or phone outside with me when I see them so I googled it to find out what they are.

Here is what I found..."The lilting Swallow-tailed Kite has been called “the coolest bird on the planet.” With its deeply forked tail and bold black-and-white plumage, it is unmistakable in the summer skies above swamps of the Southeast. Flying with barely a wingbeat and maneuvering with twists of its incredible tail, it chases dragonflies or plucks frogs, lizards, snakes, and nestling birds from tree branches. After rearing its young in a treetop nest, the kite migrates to wintering grounds in South America."

They are majestic to watch in flight.


swtkite_glam.jpg
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top