• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

katrina cottages

New posts

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
does anyone local build the lowe's katrina cottages (plans and complete materials available through lowe's)? they look like they could be great guest cottages, or the larger ones even main houses.
 
does anyone local build the lowe's katrina cottages (plans and complete materials available through lowe's)? they look like they could be great guest cottages, or the larger ones even main houses.

I spoke with the guy at Lowes about these 6 months ago. He told me he has never sold one around here. He also told me he was not supposed to tell me that. Anyway, they are popular in NO but he was hoping they would take off here. I think when it was all said and done we were looking at about $90.00 to $120.00 a sq. foot.
 
Didn't a couple of locals design the "Katrina Cottages?" I'm sure that any GC around here could assemble one, but they are small enough that anyone with a friend could build one.

From the link, "The Katrina Cottage was the idea of Andres Duany." Eric Moser is also listed on the short list of designers.
 
They are really great in person. They are small but don't seem small because they make such efficient use of the space. When I walked through the display model in N.O., I said it reminded me of the Wayback Cottage in Seaside. I didn't realize at the time DPZ designed it.

SJ, I'm not sure it's a do it yourself kind of thing. The kits are only about $35,000 if I remember correctly, but the contractors in New Orleans were charging $80,000 to erect the cottages.
 
I remember they were not really that cheap when you were all said and done. Also, we had to pay for it all up front which created a problem with the building and draw system with the bank.

Probably a great cash project. I would expect the $35,000 included just the kit?
 
I remember they were not really that cheap when you were all said and done. Also, we had to pay for it all up front which created a problem with the building and draw system with the bank.

Probably a great cash project. I would expect the $35,000 included just the kit?

These do look like efficient designs. Bobby, did you learn what the hurricane rating was? The web site says $55 sq. ft. est. based on location, however NOLA is not terribly far from Sowal, so I wonder what the big price difference was?
 
For the smaller cottages, there is no reason why a fairly handy (skilled) person with a couple of skilled friends couldn't build one within a month. Not all are suited for that, but it is basically a sophisticated over-sized play house (actually, my SIL's dad is building a playhouse which is larger) with instructions.
 
For the smaller cottages, there is no reason why a fairly handy (skilled) person with a couple of skilled friends couldn't build one within a month. Not all are suited for that, but it is basically a sophisticated over-sized play house (actually, my SIL's dad is building a playhouse which is larger) with instructions.

I would still use a pro for electrical and plumbing. Of course if you know one who's willing to do it for beer. :idontno:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top