• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Local produce, collards?

New posts
the only New Years I didn't get any peas I was on Sanibel :angry:Now blackeyed peas are different from most peas you put up in the summer like lady peas or purplehulls or dixie lees or cream or crowder or black crowders or pinkeye purplehulls.
OL we always have cabbage (for $) peas cooked with hamhock (for luck)cornbread and fried porkchops! I like what we eat on New Years tons better than turkey and dressing.:wave:
 
Toni has collard and turnip greens as well as a freezer full of summer peas.:clap:
Thanks for the tip.

Publix at Watercolor had fresh collard greens as of Saturday night. Two for one, actually. We bought kale and mustard greens, as well.
Ditto.

This is one holiday that I'm sorta glad I live in Chicago.

Collards :puke:
black eyed peas :puke:
Hubby refuses to eat collards (with hog jowl) on New Year's Day. So I make green beans for him. But after many years of marriage, he has grown to like my Hoppin' John (basically black-eyed peas and rice). He also likes my cornbread (made with sour cream and creamed corn).

In the cooler month when hubby is out of town, I'll make a big pot of collard greens (they are so healthy for you) and eat them for lunch and dinner for days. I'll sop up the pot likker with the cornbread -- yum!
 
Thanks for the tip.


Ditto.


Hubby refuses to eat collards (with hog jowl) on New Year's Day. So I make green beans for him. But after many years of marriage, he has grown to like my Hoppin' John (basically black-eyed peas and rice). He also likes my cornbread (made with sour cream and creamed corn).

In the cooler month when hubby is out of town, I'll make a big pot of collard greens (they are so healthy for you) and eat them for lunch and dinner for days. I'll sop up the pot likker with the cornbread -- yum!
I like turnip greens but collards were always kind of waxy or something. Maybe my mom didn't cook them correctly.
 
I'm not big on turnips but I adore collards. Once a year, anyway. If I cook 'em...I don't use nearly as much grease as most older folks think is required, and I don't do hog jowl (sorry, BR, just give me five thick slices of bacon instead). I throw in about 1/2 tsp of sugar to cut the bitter taste, which absolutely horrifies Fuzz's grandmother (pictured left).

Blackeyed peas (or hoppin' john) : good luck

Collards: money :D

Cornbread: required accompaniment to either

And I'm REALLY glad I live in the south; did somebody say sauerkraut? :blink::puke:
 
P.S. After the required serving of blackeyed peas with ham hock, throw in a can of diced tomatoes. It's really good! Plain blackeye peas, two servings, maybe. Blackeye peas with tomatoes, eat for the rest of the week.

And, on a tangent that has no place in the Dining/Food forum: whatever you do, you must absolutely NOT wash clothes on New Year's Day. ;-)
 
If I gotta collards (or turnip) greens for good luck, I'll just take bad luck.

Matter of fact, eating the durn things would be bad luck for me.

Ms seaside and lil seaside luv 'em for some reason.

Oh yeah, I remeber: They weren't raised poor!!!:funn::floor:
 
Sandestin Publix had bagged kale, mustards, and turnip greens Monday afternoon. Bruno's, across from the outlet stores, had bagged collards (which looked pretty sickly). I saw some good looking loose greens (didn't check which ones) in The Fresh Market. I like all kinds of greens, but tomorrow will do a smothered cabbage (with lots of bacon), Hoppin' John, and fried pork chops. Burp!! :biggrin:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top