• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Local produce, collards?

New posts
GT lost :cry:, but at least I got my collards, black-eyed peas, cornbread ingredients, and hog jowl at Publix Seagrove.

And I am cooking Hong Kong Salmon (a variation on the quintessential Hong Kong Sea Bass from Buckhead Diner) tonight. YUM!
 
I like turnip greens but collards were always kind of waxy or something. Maybe my mom didn't cook them correctly.

We cook them with garlic, balsamic vinegar, and hot sauce. My entire family loves them that way. Even our picky veggie phobic daughter. Mine are already cooked and waiting for guests. Black eyed peas are prepared with a blend of herbs and seasonings, we never have leftovers. My mom and grandmother (rest her sweet soul) cooked them to be pretty inedible. Thank goodness for the food network and creative new ways to cook some good ol' Southern standards.
 
We cook them with garlic, balsamic vinegar, and hot sauce. My entire family loves them that way. Even our picky veggie phobic daughter. Mine are already cooked and waiting for guests. Black eyed peas are prepared with a blend of herbs and seasonings, we never have leftovers. My mom and grandmother (rest her sweet soul) cooked them to be pretty inedible. Thank goodness for the food network and creative new ways to cook some good ol' Southern standards.
On New Year's Day I cook collards with a little piece of hog jowl and serve them with hot pepper sauce. The rest of the year, I leave off the hog jowl.

I add sauteed onions to my black-eyed peas and serve them over rice with salsa on the side.

Then I add the world's best cornbread:
1 cup self-rising cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces sour cream
1 (8 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all ingredients and pour into a greased 9-inch cake pan. Cook for 30-40 minutes. Serves 6-8.
 
So far...

Got collards at Toni's, they were so pretty! They turned out OK...I think I didn't "fry them down" enough. I don't cook them often enough to remember what works and what doesn't. But they are OK. Might be better after they set up a while.

Attempted to re-create Fuzz's late grandpa's fried cornbread. Anybody need a hockey puck? (Next mission - find FINE-ground cornmeal!)

But the peas turned out awesome. Squirt is on his third helping (and that's impressive, for him!). Two ham hocks, liberal sprinking of seasoned salt, and I used chicken broth for half the cooking water. Other than that, :idontno:.

Happy New Year...:clap:
 
P.S. After the required serving of blackeyed peas with ham hock, throw in a can of diced tomatoes. It's really good! Plain blackeye peas, two servings, maybe. Blackeye peas with tomatoes, eat for the rest of the week.

And, on a tangent that has no place in the Dining/Food forum: whatever you do, you must absolutely NOT wash clothes on New Year's Day. ;-)

WTHeck..I've been doing laundry all day..:shock:
 
If I gotta collards (or turnip) greens for good luck, I'll just take bad luck.

Matter of fact, eating the durn things would be bad luck for me.

Ms seaside and lil seaside luv 'em for some reason.

Oh yeah, I remeber: They weren't raised poor!!!:funn::floor:
Collard Greens aren't for good luck. They are for good monetary fortune. Greens = money or financial wealth. Black Eyed Peas are for good luck. I have no idea what Hog Jowl is for.
 
Attempted to re-create Fuzz's late grandpa's fried cornbread. Anybody need a hockey puck? (Next mission - find FINE-ground cornmeal!)

You can find the Fine Sifted Cornmeal at Kelly's, in Freeport. Remember to add the salt, and you better use ice-cold water to mix it, or you won't be eating cornbread. I love me some fried cornbread.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top