• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Local produce, collards?

New posts
You guys don't get out much, do you? The old saying goes, whatever you do on Jan 01, you will be doing all year.

Uh Oh, this is not good for my exercise plan. I laid on my couch ALL DAY yesterday, except to get up and cook the required BEP and Cabbage and cornbread. :cool:
 
The only way you know its local is if you pick it. Drive by Toni's on trash day and look at the produce boxes in the trash pile. I have, Mexican Produce is not local just because it is the name of the gulf that we live by.
Reiterated..hasn't there been a "keep it local" thing going? They have them washed there as well. Mix mustards and collards for a super treat.
 
Stan, I cannot say with certainty where Toni gets her produce. However, just thinking about the boxes, if I were a small farmer, I'd be looking at ways to cut costs, including reusing other produce boxes. If the label stated "Mexican," I'd probably paint over that or stamp it with the correct label, so people know that it was local. I'm not saying that this is the "case" with these packages, but it is a possibility.
 
The only way you know its local is if you pick it. Drive by Toni's on trash day and look at the produce boxes in the trash pile. I have, Mexican Produce is not local just because it is the name of the gulf that we live by.

Oh good grief. Please compete nicely, at least here.

btw, thanks SJ re the fine-ground cornmeal. Guess I'll have to brave a trip to Kelleys. Now that I think about it, I'll bet Thriftway in DFS has it too. I can send my brother on a mission. :clap:
 
You guys don't get out much, do you? The old saying goes, whatever you do on Jan 01, you will be doing all year.

I was driving most of the day, which is not what I want to do all year (but I probably will do a lot of it!)

But it was a beautiful drive that included a gorgeous day in SoWal, a shooting star over Eufaula, and snow in Atlanta. Before I left, it was a long, impromptu visit at the Kitty Cat House. Before that, it was a long, long breakfast at Fabrice, writing letters and talking to friends. That was a real good day...
 
btw, thanks SJ re the fine-ground cornmeal. Guess I'll have to brave a trip to Kelleys. Now that I think about it, I'll bet Thriftway in DFS has it too. I can send my brother on a mission. :clap:
No problem. As a general rule of thumb, you can typically rely on the small, dirty, rural grocery stores to carry the Fine Sifted Cornmeal. I'm not familiar with Thriftway, but if it fits into the above description, you will likely find it there. IGA or Piggly Wiggly are two likely stores to carry the Fine Sifted CM. I may whip up a batch for lunch to go with my soup.
 
I got plenty here. Just waiting for them to cool b4 I put 'em up. I'll send you an e-pea, dd. :wub: (anyone else who didn't get any today, just help yourself too) Just eat it like a mud pie. :biggrin::biggrin:
newyeardinlg.jpg
:D
Looks great! Quarter of an onion there too would be heaven.
The only way you know its local is if you pick it. Drive by Toni's on trash day and look at the produce boxes in the trash pile. I have, Mexican Produce is not local just because it is the name of the gulf that we live by.
Mexicans don't know what collards are. Maybe mostaza though :idontno:.
 
However, just thinking about the boxes, if I were a small farmer, I'd be looking at ways to cut costs, including reusing other produce boxes. If the label stated "Mexican," I'd probably paint over that or stamp it with the correct label, so people know that it was local. I'm not saying that this is the "case" with these packages, but it is a possibility.

Good gravy, am I the only person who's ever reused a box? :roll:

The best packing boxes are the liquor boxes that you get free from the local grocery or liquor store..............and produce boxes have also been part of those hauls.
 
Good gravy, am I the only person who's ever reused a box? :roll:

The best packing boxes are the liquor boxes that you get free from the local grocery or liquor store..............and produce boxes have also been part of those hauls.

Amen to that, but I was always afraid to use them when I was in college because I didn't want anyone to think that I had emptied the boxes first. So I stuck to apple boxes...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top