• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Manatee sighting

New posts

cpete

Beach Lover
In front of Watersound on Moday a large dark thing was sighted near where camp creek dumps out into the gulf. At first people thought it was a shark and then some type of large stingray, but it looked too big. While everybody got out three guys swam towards it and were able to identify it as a manatee. This place is great. There were also some very small sharks seen as well.

:clap: :clap:
 
What, no pics???? :wave: I think you saw the Holy Grail of sea creatures!:clap: Are you still there? Looks like most of Texas is shut down for the 4th! Last year, all the lakes were closed because of no rain...now it is too much rain!!! :idontno:
 
Unfortunately no pics. The beach chair person was very suprised and said it was a rare sighting. I saw only the slow moving dark thing in the water. Yes, Texas is having it's share of wet weather. We live on Lake Travis and it is totally shut down. I guess we made the right call heading here for the fouth. We've been comming here for years, just never for the fourth. It's already been a great trip! It looks like we may have brought some of the wet weather with us. I've noticed on the board that you needed it. It's all good!!



:D :D
 
:cool: way :cool: That's not far from our little beach place. I'm glad to know a manatee likes it there too. :wub: Will it swim up a river to the springs I wonder or only in the winter time? :idontno: Aren't they usually in the rivers?
 
We saw a manatee while surfing about this time last year.
Admittedly it was rather frightening looking over and seeing a huge dark spot coming right towards you .... :yikes: ... and then it raised up it's head and we realized what it was ...
 
Last year at this I we too saw Manatees (on 2 different occasions)--very close to shore. It was first a scary site as everyone cleared the water, but then once I realized what we were witnessing it was awesome!

This year I was talking to a local surfer and he said seeing one is not usually a good sign--b/c he is probably running from something.
 
I was acutally in the water in front of the Grand Playa Condo's that day. I'm relaxing on my floatie and out of the corner of my eye I see something moving towards me & think holy crap I need to get out of here. Next thing I know people are screaming from the beach to get out of the water :yikes: I must admit I was scared to death not knowing what was heading towards me at a pretty good rate of speed. Once I got back to shore a kind getleman reached out & helped me onto the beach - THANK YOU! The crowd started moving down the beach following whatever was in the water & then realized it was a manatee. Pretty cool afterwards - not so cool when you're in the water, not knowing what's interested in you!! :cool: I cracked myself up afterwards thinking about the fact that I cluthched my dang $1.50 floatie for dear life while running from the sea creature never giving thought that I could probably swim/run faster without it!!

Have a great day everyone!
 
:cool: way :cool: That's not far from our little beach place. I'm glad to know a manatee likes it there too. :wub: Will it swim up a river to the springs I wonder or only in the winter time? :idontno: Aren't they usually in the rivers?


Manatees can be found in shallow, slow-moving rivers, estuaries, saltwater bays, canals and coastal areas. Manatees are a migratory species. Within the United States, West Indian manatees are concentrated in Florida in the winter, but they can be found in summer months as far west as Texas and as far north as Virginia. However, these sightings are rare. Summer sightings in Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina are common.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top