• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

More Spring Breakers than ever in SoWal

New posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smiling Joe, we were thinking about trying it out when we get down there. We saw the sign last year when there for the new Publix. We know there is one by the Salvatore's Italian Restaurant off of I believe either Hutchinson or Beckrich but didn't go in there. Thought it might be high. Winn Dixie wasn't cheap either. I like Walmart and Sam's Club, but am willing to give Publix a try. Thanks.
 
ladydebubba60 said:
Smiling Joe, we were thinking about trying it out when we get down there. We saw the sign last year when there for the new Publix. We know there is one by the Salvatore's Italian Restaurant off of I believe either Hutchinson or Beckrich but didn't go in there. Thought it might be high. Winn Dixie wasn't cheap either. I like Walmart and Sam's Club, but am willing to give Publix a try. Thanks.
Walmart will be cheaper, but not worth the extra time to get there, nor worth the hassle of going to Walmart during Spring Break. The new Publix at the west end of PCB is very nice and clean, and prices are very reasonable, IMO.
 
jdarg said:
Ha ha- you laugh now seesta, but when you need that EVOO, or toasted pecans, or wooden skewers, or gallon size baggies, don't come whining to me!

Wish I was making THE list right now.:roll:

I pack that way too. Ya never know what you might need. Love making lists for vacations, planning is part of the funn.
 
I'm trying to retrain myself NOT to take so much stuff to the cottage on vacation. I, too, pack stuff, much of which I can get in SoWal. I enjoy the planning, but the packing and unpacking and carrying of the extra stuff is getting annoying and I spend time in SoWal organizing the stuff I bring (and want to take back home) that I could be spending relaxing. I even bring our own parmesan cheese and I have a hunch Modica Market probably has very good parmesan cheese for pasta. So, it's a habit I'm trying to break.
 
One of the things I enjoy about traveling is trying different brand names at the grocery store. I love different salad dressings or cheeses etc. We fly in - so don't pack much of anything.
 
Getting in on this thread a little late, but locals be prepared.....Alabama's spring break is next week. :eek:
 
Smiling JOe said:
Walmart will be cheaper, but not worth the extra time to get there, nor worth the hassle of going to Walmart during Spring Break. The new Publix at the west end of PCB is very nice and clean, and prices are very reasonable, IMO.
In our house, no reason is good enough to step foot in there.
 
karen said:
Where exactly is the scooter rental place on 30-A?
Sorry, but I cannot say. I don't want them to get any business because I don't want to have to watch out for that many more people who don't know how to operate the vehicle they are on or in. :roll:
 
dang, its been busy lately - but I hear the fish are poppin around the canal outflow into the bay, so its time to drag the fully outfitted floating cottage to the salty water again

since we've been doing this so long, i usually hit the store up here because of the tourtles down there and just restock what we used up, things that expired since last time, or are running low on (going through everything and making the list gets the blood flowing, don't it!?!)

its usually little things like a loaf of bread and some fake butter and real buttermilk, a bag of matchlight charcoal and some tony catchere's seasoning and some more crab boil, and some celery, and some danish wedding cookies, and some croissants and sliced ham and sliced mozzerella cheeze and some lettuce and some eggs for the fish batter and another bottle of olive oil, and then some fishing stuff and one or two of the dive tanks refilled so that we have three of everything again (no way am i going to tie up and take a freaking taxi into town to some tackle parlor or dive shop, or even worse wally world, and waste hours of my trip in traffic or in line!)

the ritual states that the night before you are to leave, you have to hook up and drive the five miles or so into 'town' to fuel up the truck and the boat and check the air pressure on all 10 tires, then head out for the drop zone at 3:00 am and be in the water by 9:00 am, if we hit the waffle house for a leg stretch and a omelet, or by 8:00 am if we brown bag breakfast

when you hit the florida line it is required to fill up the truck again (blocking all the parking spaces so they can't get in or out around the boat and truck) and buy up all their ice and fill all the boat coolers, for it is well known that you will not catch any fish without ice on board.

once you hit the drop zone and put the boat in the water it is also required that you have to go back to the truck at least twice to get some stupid thing you left in the truck, usually sunblock or sunglasses or a camera, and the last time is of course just to make sure and the doors and trailer hitch are really locked

once the trip is finished, there's the whole 'I gotta get home' business and I swear she's thinking about what she needs to be brought in the house for doing the laundry before we're out of the parking lot for heading home.

see ya out there (get out of the way)!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top