• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

native landscaping workshop - 9/28/06

New posts

Kurt

Admin
Sept. 28th at 7 pm at the Coastal Branch Library in South Walton.

Local native landscape expert Snookie Parrish will present a how-to program on natural, sustainable landscaping and gardening for homeowners. Her landscaping focuses on the use of native and drought tolerant plants with emphasis on xeriscaping, organic and environmentally friendly practices.

Snookie is an Alabama and Florida Master Gardener and a Florida Master Naturalist. She was the Head Gardener at WaterColor from 2000 ? 2004 and the Site Supervisor at Alys Beach from 2004 ? 2006. She is a member of the Florida Native Plant Society and the North American Butterfly Association.

This will be a great ?how to? program. Please pass the info on to your neighbors, family and friends.
 
By chance I took one of Randy's classes at the Gourd Garden a few years ago. He opened my eyes to the world of native landscaping. We did that at our beach home -- no need for irrigation.

It's coincidental that you brought this up. Many of you Atlantans on the board probably know Brooks Garcia, who did our landscape design in GA and was at the wedding we went to last night since he did the bride's parents' landscape design as well. Anyhow, he and I were talking about native landscaping in the Panhandle. He is also a proponent of it. I say, why bring in coconut palms and try to make the place look like South Florida?

Anyhow, if you have a chance, I strongly recommend this workshop. It will give you a new awareness of the natural beauty that we take for granted and that has been bulldozed to make way for non-native plant material.
 
If we were in SoWal that week, I'd jump at the chance to attend one of Snookie's workshops. I never get tired of walking in WaterColor because of the magnificent work she did there. Her landscaping is nothing short of marvelous. I don't even mind that silly name of hers when I see what she's created. :D
 
If we were in SoWal that week, I'd jump at the chance to attend one of Snookie's workshops. I never get tired of walking in WaterColor because of the magnificent work she did there. Her landscaping is nothing short of marvelous. I don't even mind that silly name of hers when I see what she's created. :D
Exactly.
 
30-gAy's Seminar on Native Landscaping.

-Don't Mow
-Don't Water
-Don't Weed

....and Voila, whithin a few months the yard is rampant with native vegetation.
 
By chance I took one of Randy's classes at the Gourd Garden a few years ago. He opened my eyes to the world of native landscaping. We did that at our beach home -- no need for irrigation.

It's coincidental that you brought this up. Many of you Atlantans on the board probably know Brooks Garcia, who did our landscape design in GA and was at the wedding we went to last night since he did the bride's parents' landscape design as well. Anyhow, he and I were talking about native landscaping in the Panhandle. He is also a proponent of it. I say, why bring in coconut palms and try to make the place look like South Florida?

Anyhow, if you have a chance, I strongly recommend this workshop. It will give you a new awareness of the natural beauty that we take for granted and that has been bulldozed to make way for non-native plant material.

what about native landscaping in Atlanta or anywhere? I'm always amazed when I drive into Bham and see all the formal landscaping with miles and miles of perfectly mown green grass. It is beautiful, especially with so many flowering trees and plants. But, what about a more natural landscape with native vegetation, and less velvety golf course-looking lawns? hopefully, this concept will catch on in other areas of the country too...
 
what about native landscaping in Atlanta or anywhere?
You have a point. Never though of that. And what do all of the ChemLawn chemicals to keep the grass perfect do to the environment. But I shouldn't be critical -- I guess our geometrically-laid-out formal gardens with yaupon holly hedges wouldn't exactly be considered native.:blush:
 
I know it's been a while since I posted, but am going to write this on my calender, thinking of doing landscape designing in Jacksonville when I move there in a couple of weeks, although I know some natives will be different, a lot will be the same as well................oh , and let me remind you all that my family's nursery ( springfield nursery in PC) carry many native plants, and it's worth the drive over there just look around if you're a flower lover. msg me or email me if you want to go visit there.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top