• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

New Inlet

New posts
Some Pros:

1. Less fuel used to access gulf.
2. Marinas could be located on North and South side of the bay.
3. Marinas are beautiful
4. Many acres of land on North and South side of bay would increase in value.
6. Business taxes could offset residential taxes.
7. Water based activities (just the ones that require fuel)would increase locally.
8. Jettys create habitat (only for drunken jetskiers or fisherman, Jettys destroy habitat for wildlife!)

A jetty is a VERY bad idea!

Marinas are not only ugly, they are noisy and pollute the water.

Local land values are aren't exactly in need of a boost in value!
 
I mentioned this in another thread but Florida state law no longer allows jetties to be built on outlets or rivers. For once the government has learned from past mistakes.
Besides you could say goodby the the beach west of the Westen Lake outlet. Which would result in no longer having a beach to drive on or launch a boat in Walton County. But Grayton Beach State PArk would acreate sediment and have a much wider beach.
Look at the jetties in Destin and Panama City, longshore drift causes a build up of sediment on the east side while the westen side is sediment starved thus erodeing over time. Every so often the Corp of Engineers has to dredge the channels since they also fill with sediment. Wouldn't that be nice during tourist season.
Something I find very tiresome is people expecting the environment to be altered or changes for there convience or monetary gain.
SrSO4
 
That is a good point but why are the beaches at our two adjoining inlets so pristine.
Maybe because the Rivers have many miles of Bay through which to filter, but if you cut through at the east end of the Choctawhatchee Bay, you would be very close to the mouths of five rivers.
 
Con - more businesses created with no additional employees to work the jobs. As your price of real estate supposedly increases, even fewer service industry employees will be able to afford to live here. Even doctors and lawyers, well, maybe not lawyers, will have to get a second career to work while they should be sleeping.
 
Last edited:
I am just popping in to share my utter disbelief that someone could even think or suggest that this be done. Can I be totally honest here? emeraldcoastdav...the pros are ZIP, ZERO,NADA,NONE etc.etc.etc..cons..there is a character limit on these boards so I couldnt even begin to list them. I honestly hope you havent spent alot of money in moving to this area with the hopes of something like this occurring because I can tell you right now...it wont in my lifetime. I (and many,many others) would stake ourselves to the beach before it happened. If you want deepwater, fast access to the gulf I suggest you pack it up and move to Destin or Panama City..or better yet Gulf Shores or Cedar Key. But this area is just NOT COMPATIBLE with what you are suggesting. If you want good surf, I suggest somewhere on an actual OCEAN that has actual WAVES.


(I am constantly amazed by the people that move here and try to turn this place into whatever hole,subdivision,city,urban hell they are from.)
 
At first I thought this was some kind of April Fool in November.

Now I think ECD is either having a good laugh provoking us all, or astonishingly, that he's serious.
 
At first I thought this was some kind of April Fool in November.

Now I think ECD is either having a good laugh provoking us all, or astonishingly, that he's serious.
I think he is still riding a wave of being high from his last surfing trip. I don't ride the waves on a surf board, but I ride them on a kayak, and I know it feels like nothing else. It feels so good that you never want the wave to end, but it does.

If you want waves, building a wave pool surfing theme park would be less expensive and you could have waves, even on flat days.
 
I thought he was just having funn. Whats wrong with a little debate. Not like the county would ever do anything.... BTW, we do get good waves here. When it is up most folks are tucked away inside and never really get to see it. I have surfed all over the world and have caught some of the best surf of my life right here. We can not even get the county to consider a skate park. Why would they put a jetty in a rare coastal lake?
 
Bobby, a skate park is a good idea; let's get a group together to lobby for that...but a jetty on a coastal dune lake, next to state park...surely he was just yanking our chains.....
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top