• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Older properties

New posts

Valerista

Beach Crab
Hi!

We're moving to the area in September and would like to find an older home to fix up and turn around.

Many of the listings we've seen are for houses 4-5 years old or newer. Are we just out of luck?
 
Valerista said:
Hi!

We're moving to the area in September and would like to find an older home to fix up and turn around.

Many of the listings we've seen are for houses 4-5 years old or newer. Are we just out of luck?
I don't know that you are out of luck, but you will not find many older homes in this area. You will have to go to Panama City or Defuniak Springs to find the older homes (60+years).
 
Thanks for the reply, Joe... we might indeed be out of luck... my husband will be working at Eglin AFB so that's too far away.
 
Valerista said:
Thanks for the reply, Joe... we might indeed be out of luck... my husband will be working at Eglin AFB so that's too far away.
You may find some older homes in Ft Walton, and it will be much closer to Eglin AFB. Don't give up that easily.
 
Ft. Walton is loaded with smaller older homes. Be sure to check into the FHA and VA lists. Also Crestview just North of FWB.

If you like really older homes you can move one onto a lot and renovate it. There are a house movers that even keep a few laying around for that purpose.

Ducky can move anything:
http://phonl.com/Ducky/aboutus.cfm

Ducky Johnson House Movers ? P. O. Box 107 ? Grand Ridge, Florida 32442
Telephone: (850) 592-5571 ? FAX: (850) 592-6040

They moved this one from Marianna to Inlet Beach

inletbeach1.jpg


And another in transit over I-10:

Trammell3.jpg
 
As you think about older homes, you'll want to ask yourself/realtor/inspector how well they will hold up during a hurricane, especially if they were built before some of the new hurricane building codes were in place. On the other hand, if they're old and still standing after a few hurricanes, that's a good sign...
 
Also, depends on what you mean by "older properties" too. Our house in seacrest area is considered "old" by some, but it was only built in 1985! (our realtor thnks it's an antique! :floor: In Atlanta, that would be considered a newer home.) There are lots of neighborhoods in the area with smaller houses from the 60s - 80s that would certainly benefit (financially) from a second story, upgrade or whatnot.

(As an aside thought, i have to just say how much we love having an "older" house. It may not be stunning, but it's cute enough, and with its vinyl siding and tin roof, is practically maintenance free. :wink: gotta love it.)
 
Valerista said:
Hi!

We're moving to the area in September and would like to find an older home to fix up and turn around.

Many of the listings we've seen are for houses 4-5 years old or newer. Are we just out of luck?

Check in Inlet Beach. Last time I was there, several were on the market on Walton Rose Lane.

Janet
 
I just obtained a property in the Redbay area- North of Freeport- It's a 4br/3bath that I do not have time to renovate- I would consider selling, with possible owner financing- I have a certified appraisal at $270,000 But would consider offers in the $175,00 range. Jon 404-247-7477 or www.investorproperties.net
 
captainbook said:
I just obtained a property in the Redbay area- North of Freeport- It's a 4br/3bath that I do not have time to renovate- I would consider selling, with possible owner financing- I have a certified appraisal at $270,000 But would consider offers in the $175,00 range. Jon 404-247-7477 or www.investorproperties.net

I did not see it on your site. What are the deatils? Amount of land, age of house, Hwy location etc.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top