• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Paying For Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

New posts

RebelRider

Beach Lover
I am heaing rumblings of a move by a group in Walton County that wants to place a referendum on the November Ballot to repeal the 1% discreationary sales tax. They seek to redirect those funds (12.5 million LY) to widen CO HWY 3280 and build a bypass around DeFuniak Springs and other paving projects.

The current 1% tax goes to pay for your garbage collection, Economic Development, operate the County landfill, and pay for Capital Improvements, like the court house, jail and the expanding parks in Freeport, South Walton and DeFuniak Springs, and 1.5 million for paving projects.

They propose that we individually pay for garbage and refuge collection (estimated at about $35.00 per month - in todays dollars), and further reduce the capital projects funding.

If this referendum were approved by the Board of County Commissioners would you be in support of this effort ?
 
Last edited:
Re: Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

I am heaing rumblings of a move by a group in Walton County that wants to place a referendum on the November Ballot to repeal the 1% discreationary sales tax. They seek to redirect those funds (12.5 million LY) to widen CO HWY 3280 and build a bypass around DeFuniak Springs and other paving projects.

The current 1% tax goes to pay for your garbage collection, Economic Development, operate the County landfill, and pay for Capital Improvements, like the court house, jail and the expanding parks in Freeport, South Walton and DeFuniak Springs, and 1.5 million for paving projects.

They propose that we individually pay for garbage and refuge collection (estimated at about $35.00 per month - in todays dollars), and further reduce the capital projects funding.

If this referendum were approved by the Board of County Commissioners would you be in support of this effort ?

What is your source for the information about what the 1% tax pays for?
I have been trying to get this clarified.
 
Re: Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

the freedom from a monthly garbage bill is an appealling aspect of living here and we all know that the morons around here will destroy our environment with trash if they are required to pay for the service- my goodness, they already dump trash in our forests and they can leave the stuff curbside for less effort.
 
Re: Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

I agree with idlewind. Mandatory trash pick up is 99% nesseccity in a tourist/transient area. Just look to the east and see what is happening in Bay County. They are finally grasping the idea that people who visit aren't too worried if that trash can isn't actually going to be picked up.
 
Re: Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

My source ?

The CAFR (Annual Audit) for Walton County 2003,2004,2005,2006. The are available in pdf format online at the Clerk of Courts website.
 
Re: Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

I lived around here when we were getting taxed just the same and we had to take our trash to blue mountain. I also noticed how much crap weekly that is dumped on the roads. I walk 30A and 283 and I am amazed when I see people just tossing crap out the window without a thought. I have done my own survey by state tags and I think Alabama takes first place!!!!!
 
Re: Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

I just noticed my last post was 420 and I don't smoke dope. If things continue like they are I might start!!!!:floor:
 
Re: Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Michigan-style bottle deposit law. Ten cents a can or bottle for beer or pop really does cut down on that kind of litter.
 
Re: Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

Sounds contradictory, repealing taxes, but redirecting the money. How does that work? If there is no tax, there should be no money to redirect.
 
Re: Garbage Collection In Your Future ?

Sorry, Left out that part. They would repeal the current statute (which was not approved by a referendum - was approved by a super majority of the Commission in 1994. They would propose a replacement tax of 1% that would make the tax bondable.

Swap a 1% discretionary tax useage for a 1% discreationary tax pledged to roads and bridges.

Net effect - you would pay about $360 more per year for garbage and get identified roads built or updated, no money for Economic Development and less money for Parks and other capital improvements.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top