• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Please I.D. this reptile

New posts
Kind of like a zebra, eh, pgurney? You don't know if the animal is white with black stripes, or black with white stripes.

Here is a pic of the cute one on which I almost stepped. I would have crushed it. He's a "lucky dog."

P3300006sm.jpg
 
My eyes are on the front of my head not the sides, I would have eaten him if I'd had to assassinate him. :wave: But I am glad I am doing neither.
oh my, you and Mr. IBD would get along. eat what you kill...:lol:

Please don't kill any of them, they do serve a purpose. Corn snakes eat rats and mice, they were commonly called corn snakes because you could find them in the corn bins.

I also agree to a certain point. Pygmy rattlesnakes are always on my list of "to kill" after one bit little IBD. :angry: Funny thing is, she is fascinated with snakes. Loves the displays at the Zoo....:lol:
 
Last edited:
About the facial features of a pit viper...pretty sure we have killed a fair number of innocent banded water snakes in my neck of the woods over my lifetime. Neither Fuzz nor I see well enough to lean over the subject snake in order to examine a stripe on the face or the shape of the pupil. This is particularly true when said critter is coiling up, even though moccasins do not need to coil to strike.

Moccasins do tend to be thicker, though. And they just LOOK mean.
 
You'll know it is a moccasin when it starts chasing you. lol. I'm not kidding. I once saw a guy jump backwards five feet, while in mid step, when he spooked a moccasin, which started to go after him. I was standing right beside him, but the snake went after him and not me (fortunately for me). We were on the outskirts of a field which bordered a swampy area. The snake chased him maybe 15' back into the field. They tend to be very aggressive. I'd much rather be in waist-deep water with a gator than a Cotton Mouth! The gator will leave you alone. The snake won't.
 
You are right...NAST, NASTY snake!!!! Yewww. As a kid, I was run out of Oyster Lake in Dune Allen by a water moccasin....nightmarish!:creepy:

A couple of weeks ago we were having lunch outside at Hurricanes. We looked over in the little pond and saw a moccasin swimming around...then we saw another and then another. Total of three, 2 larger one smaller. The smaller one would stop and perch his head up as if he was watching us. Everyone eating lunch and the servers came out to see..pretty creepy.:eek:but cool:biggrin:
 
Where did you find this snake? My friend told me she saw red snakes on the beach in Costa Rica...I'm glad SoWal beaches don't have snakes...or maybe I was wrong
 
Has anyone ever heard of snakes traveling in the water downstream in a ball...more than one snake...a ball of snakes
 
Has anyone ever heard of snakes traveling in the water downstream in a ball...more than one snake...a ball of snakes
Only in Lonesome Dove.
 
oh my, you and Mr. IBD would get along. eat what you kill...:lol:



I also agree to a certain point. Pygmy rattlesnakes are always on my list of "to kill" after one bit little IBD. :angry: Funny thing is, she is fascinated with snakes. Loves the displays at the Zoo....:lol:

I've been bit by what we think was a Pygmy...the bite was so small and I didn't realize that slap on my ankle was a snake...thought is was briars. I had the symptoms of a snake bite...sick for about 4 months. Thank God I didn't see it bite me.
 
Yep, like a zebra.

Here's one I ran into last week at a job site in New Mexico. I went for a little walk while waiting for a meeting. Walked right past this thing without knowing it...then got the heebie jeebie feeling. I thought to myself, you know, you better not go too far since you don't know what critters are out here. So I turned around to go back and got the crap scared out of me when I saw it. I am so SO afraid of snakes! If that had been a rattler I'd probably still be standing there waiting for it to leave.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top