• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

PLEASE READ: Save our beaches!

New posts
Love your siggy line jodiFL!
Thanks to all that have said this. Just wanting to cover my... as..uh.. bases.
 
This is a great approach, for when you have the opportunity to do so without seeming creepy. Bypass the parents and talk directly to the kids with a "did you know ...?" tone in your voice and they will listen, instead of stonewalling. I bet this will work pretty well with most little ones 5 and up. :clap:

:clap::clap:I know some younger ones that this will work with as well.
 
My two small children picked up 3 bags of trash at Grayton Beach the other day. This week's guests certainly have been the messiest and most inconsiderate this spring break. Wonder if they would appreciate that title? :idontno: It seems that they expect someone else to pick up after them while they are here. I would love to think that a campaign of some kind would raise awareness so that tourists helped to keep our beaches clean and beautiful, but I'm afraid all the work will continue to be done by locals who care.

I also have thought that a free/minimally priced exchange for beach toys would be a good idea. Do you think people would actually bring them back (maybe with a deposit)? Maybe we should work on getting one started. At least there would be a place to drop all the plastic junk that isn't quite ready for the dump. I would be happy to help.
 
I just found this post from last year and think this would be a good time to post it again...
SoWal Beaches Forum - View Single Post - Small Child buried in the sand!!!
• Doctors:16 deaths in sand holes or tunnels in U.S. 1990-2006
• In same period, 12 fatal shark attacks took place, says University of Florida
• Hole walls usually collapse, leaving almost no evidence of hole or victim location
• Victims mostly boys, 3 to 21 years; average age about 12
 
I've been in operation on the beach running the Ride On Surf School since 2004 and the problem at hand has gotten worse with each passing year. More people=more trash. Unfortunately the same laws, fines, rules etc. that were created way back when have not been updated to account for the enormous influx of tourists that have found South Walton to be their new drive-to vacation hot spot.

At the end of each day I comb the beach for litter and place it in the 1, yes 1 trash can available for the Pompano Joes beach access. Actually I am very lucky if I can get it in the can because it's usually overflowing by 11:00am. This is ridiculous! There are literally hundreds if not thousands of people in this area on any given day and with 1 fricken' trash can your gonna have a mess on your hands.

It all starts with us locals. Make an effort whenever possible to show you care. There have been several occasions where a group is walking away from a massive trash heap at there chosen spot and I'll walk right up to them and say "Forgetting something?" They just look at me like I'm crazy at first but once they catch on to what I'm referring to they embarrassingly apologize and get right to cleaning it up. We have to start the movement that will get things going in the right direction. More signage, heavier enforced fines, more trash cans and most importantly a local community that isn't going to put up with it any longer!!!!

-Matt
 

THANK YOU to everyone who has expressed their support and feedback on this vital issue since my first post nearly two weeks ago. We truly feel the most powerful motion for change is to nurture the unique culture and spirit of this great area by being PROACTIVE - to inspire the local residents and business owners to spread the word of protecting and preserving our beaches in their everyday conversations and actions, as well as communicating this message in any tourism-related marketing collateral and publications. If there is any hope for change, it will have to start with the spirit of our local community and local people that make up the everyday fabric of this remarkable coastal haven. To ensure this is done with both passion and balanced minds, this will require a collective group of concerned residents coming together. Whether you agree with it or not, look at what was accomplished with the blue wayfinding sign debate on Scene 30A ? a classic example of what can happen when a community bands together with passion and vigor! For those who would like to align with us with the hope of making a difference for the betterment of our community, please email me at thebeachvoice@yahoo.com.

And?in celebration of Earth Day tomorrow, break out your iPod or grab your family and head down to the beach with a couple trash bags. It is our absolute duty as residents of the beautiful Emerald Coast to pitch in and do what we can to contribute to the cause. Remember? EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS!!!
 
I wish we could find some way to teach young guests to respect the environment. I would love it if there was someway to reward youngsters for being good citizens of the Earth. My fantasy has always been to have an anti litter campaign where youngsters are rewarded for picking litter up off the beach. One bucket or bag of litter earns a snowcone. An accompanying adult could attest to the child's efforts. Or, a more random positive enforcement plan would be to post signs saying that those beach goers who help "tend the beach" could recieve a token from a beach monitor good for.....I don't know, what ever. Start the program by identifying those guests who demostrate respect for the beach and the word will get out fast.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top