• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Redneck Riviera??

New posts

Hollibird

Beach Lover
:confused: I have a question. I am a transplanted north easterner living in Destin... but still. why would anyone refer to our beautiful area as the 'redneck riviera'? Why would you want to be associated with such a derogatory name? Why would someone be proud to be considered a 'redneck'? In my hometown, that just meant you were poor, uneducated, and toothless. does it mean something else down here?
 
Yes, the word "redneck" has many meanings, some not so flattering and some that are just the plain ole truth! I am educated and well traveled, but I consider myself to be a "redneck" in many, many ways...not in a bad way at all.

Grayton Beach was settled and inhabited by mostly "rednecks". We were very proud "rednecks" and we always loved Grayton Beach, but I have to admit we did frequently make jokes about the Freeport folks and even those from Defuniak, after all I was from 'hotlanta...the big city. Now you see who's laughing all the way to the bank....(not me, by the way).

Believe me when I say the "beautiful people" did NOT settle 30-A, but they have found it and things have forever changed on the "Redneck Riveria"! :(

Just sign me,
Redneck and Proud (now living in Mississippi, and that's a whole 'nother story!)
 
Hollibird said:
:confused: I have a question. I am a transplanted north easterner living in Destin... but still. why would anyone refer to our beautiful area as the 'redneck riviera'? Why would you want to be associated with such a derogatory name? Why would someone be proud to be considered a 'redneck'? In my hometown, that just meant you were poor, uneducated, and toothless. does it mean something else down here?

Hollibird, do not know why they call it that but it is mentioned on Wikipedia.com! Maybe someone can answer that for you off of here I am sure. That's like comparing Malibu to Cypremort Point in Louisiana. No comparison!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Coast

"Redneck Riviera"
The Emerald Coast, particularly Panama City Beach, is known colloquially as the Redneck Riviera, although this term is sometimes applied to a larger region of the coast from Mobile, Alabama to Apalachicola, Florida.
 
As LadydeBubba has mentioned, it's mostly Panama City Beach that gets the "redneck Riviera" label these days, not the towns along 30-A. This is because 30-A has gotten so gentrified since Seaside came into existence. (In a few years I suppose PCB might not even "deserve" being called that, though, not with the way they're building, but that remains to be seen.)

Whenever I hear that name I laugh because I remember back to when the label really fit! Now cracker has gone chic (not to mention big time expensive as well) and it's all turned around. :rolling:
 
ladydebubba60 said:
Hollibird, do not know why they call it that but it is mentioned on Wikipedia.com! Maybe someone can answer that for you off of here I am sure. That's like comparing Malibu to Cypremort Point in Louisiana. No comparison!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Coast

"Redneck Riviera"
The Emerald Coast, particularly Panama City Beach, is known colloquially as the Redneck Riviera, although this term is sometimes applied to a larger region of the coast from Mobile, Alabama to Apalachicola, Florida.
I'm almost 50 yrs. old and as far as I can remember, it has always been "lovingly" referred to as the Redneck Riviera. It's not meant to be derogatory but rather in "admiration and respect." A southern trademark, like a Georgia peach, etc. I'm surprised that some haven't considered it un-pc, but it is what it is. It's beautiful, it rivals the most beautiful beaches in the world, but it's located in redneck country. (With redneck originally referring to farmers.)
 
The whole panhandle is considered "redneck riviera," no just Panama City, but from Panama City to Gulf Shores, and that doesinclude Seaside.
 
And oh yes... Seaside, 30-A, the whole panhandle, is still referred to as the Redneck Riviera and it probably always will be. As long as there are rednecks (aka Southerners) and fried shrimp served in a plastic basket, there will always be a Redneck Riviera. :wub:
 
dbuck said:
The whole panhandle is considered "redneck riviera," no just Panama City, but from Panama City to Gulf Shores, and that doesinclude Seaside.

yep, ain't no way around it.
 
Wow... I grew up with the knowledge that my family and the people who lived around us were considered "rednecks." But to us, it never meant anything bad. I know Jeff Foxworthy is kind of an obvious example here, but his definition most closely fits the one I've always known: "People with a glorious lack of sophistication."
rednecks are just good people doing their best to get by on what they have.
 
:lolabove: Too funny! I have heard that phrase before, never bothered me.
Reminds me of a great country song "Redneck Yacht Club" I'd be proud to be a member of that too!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top