• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Redneck Riviera??

New posts
Most excellant SJ!!! Imagine he would be quite the interesting professor.!




Smiling JOe said:
arts_books-4848.jpeg




dsc00093.jpg


Maybe this photo from Crab Island will help explain the name a little bit.
 
Yes, I hear it called "Redneck Riviera" here in North Country. It's ok with me, but wonder why Northerner's like to call the area NorthWest FL. & not the Panhandle??? :idontno:

Tom (MI - Great Lakes Area)
 
Tom@BV said:
Yes, I hear it called "Redneck Riviera" here in North Country. It's ok with me, but wonder why Northerner's like to call the area NorthWest FL. & not the Panhandle??? :idontno:

Tom (MI - Great Lakes Area)
I'm in the Chicago area and when you say panhandle they look confused. Then as soon as you say NW Fla, they understand. And then when you say Redneck Riviera, they REALLY understand!
 
SJ - that pix of Carb Island could be of Party Cove in the Ozarks - or even Petite Lake in the Chain of Lakes just North of Chicago.

I don't really care what it is called - just a long as I am lucky enough to own a piece of it.


In Illinois we call Wisocnsin people Cheeseheads and they call is FIBS

F***ing Illinois Bast****s
 
I have been dropping off Grayton Kid every morning at Bay Elementary in Pt. Washington.....I have seen no rednecks there! It is really weird. Prepy, white shirts coming out of the wood work. Watercolor, Rosemary, Seaside and Alys Beach... a whole different world for sure. I like to think that most of us are somehwere in between redneck and elite snobs. Let's just stay down home, friendly AND educated!
 
I have lived in Walton County, Atlanta, Austin TX, Denver CO, Newport Beach CA, Scottsdale AZ, and for the last 18 years in the Napa Valley...every single place had rednecks. They are universal. When I was an undergrad at FSU, a sorority girl with a crush on my cousin loved making fun of my Panhandle accent and referred to me as a "redneck." Well, this is a young woman whose father was a tomato farmer in South Florida and who actually wore a leopard-skin coat to classes in the winter months. I might have been a redneck (might still be...heck!), but I know lack of breeding and poor taste when I encounter it.:pissed:
 
Are khaki pants part of his school attire? They have gone to school uniforms here over the past couple of years. White shirts and khaki or navy blue pants for boys and girls. Every city has what people refer to as rednecks. Some just more redneck than others.
 
steele mama said:
I have been dropping off Grayton Kid every morning at Bay Elementary in Pt. Washington.....I have seen no rednecks there! It is really weird. Prepy, white shirts coming out of the wood work. Watercolor, Rosemary, Seaside and Alys Beach... a whole different world for sure. I like to think that most of us are somehwere in between redneck and elite snobs. Let's just stay down home, friendly AND educated!


AMEN to that, Sister! Times have certainly changed since the time that #2 Sibling and I attended Pt. Washington School!!! Now, that was quite an experience for us city slicker kids. We both actually had shoes and wore them to school. The hot lunches were quite tasty if I remember correctly. Van Butler was the principal and may have even taught my grade (grades 5-8 in one classroom). We rode the school bus from Grayton Beach. :roll:
 
steele mama said:
I have been dropping off Grayton Kid every morning at Bay Elementary in Pt. Washington.....I have seen no rednecks there! It is really weird. Prepy, white shirts coming out of the wood work. Watercolor, Rosemary, Seaside and Alys Beach... a whole different world for sure. I like to think that most of us are somehwere in between redneck and elite snobs. Let's just stay down home, friendly AND educated!

Maybe that is because Rosemary, Seaside, Alys Beach, etc were not developed when the name, Redneck Riveria, stuck. ;-) Heck, Destin was not even Destin as we know it, when the name came around. There was Panty Maw City Beach and Ft Walton, and not much in between known to people from the South Eastern US.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top