• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Reminder - Remove It Or Lose It

New posts
WaltonGOP, What happens when someone walking down the beach at night trips over a guidewire holding the tent and bust their head open on a chair? What happens when that tent and chairs and umbrella are blown out to sea when a storm rolls up or during the night? Will the owner of the beach crap be fined for littering?
 
WaltonGOP, What happens when someone walking down the beach at night trips over a guidewire holding the tent and bust their head open on a chair? What happens when that tent and chairs and umbrella are blown out to sea when a storm rolls up or during the night? Will the owner of the beach crap be fined for littering?

Boy am I wading off into it now.

First, I would hope the homeowner has some insurance, but then again if the person walking is trespassing, it is a whole new issue.

If it blows out the person is responsible, just as they would be if it was in there front yard and blew down the street and caused some damage.

I am not saying that if someone chooses to do this that they should not be held responsible, but the government coming onto private property and taking their stuff? How in the world can anyone think this is okay?
 
I am talking about taking stuff from privately owned beaches. If it is left on a public beach it is littering.

Again the problem does become just what is the privately owned portion of the beach. But I am sure that there are some places in sowal in which it is obvious that it is privately owned. If someone wants to leave a tent up at the foot of their walkway on their property, the government needs to leave it alone.

I disagree. If it were true, DEP could not prevent people from building a fence on the beach on their property. At the end of Don Bishop Road there is a public access to the Bay. The land there is "owned" by the East side property owner. He is not allowed to leave anything (a car for example) there that would block public access to the Bay.

As for leaving property "at the foot of their walkway", from the first post of this thread: "However, articles that are stored adjacent to or underneath personal walkovers will not be removed." (bold mine)
 
I disagree. If it were true, DEP could not prevent people from building a fence on the beach on their property. At the end of Don Bishop Road there is a public access to the Bay. The land there is "owned" by the East side property owner. He is not allowed to leave anything (a car for example) there that would block public access to the Bay.

As for leaving property "at the foot of their walkway", from the first post of this thread: "However, articles that are stored adjacent to or underneath personal walkovers will not be removed." (bold mine)

So now the government decides if 1' or 10' is adjacent.

How is a public access owned?
 
Crap on the beach is crap on the beach whether the beach is public or private (and I don't think any of them are BTW).

They aren't stealing your stuff, they are ticketing items left over 24 hours (and only about once a week in each area), so you will have plenty of notice to pick up after yourself or dispute it if you are found to be in violation.

Take a pill or a sip of something calming and just be thankful they're being proactive about removing trash from the beach.
 
So now the government decides if 1' or 10' is adjacent.

How is a public access owned?

I don't know, but his deed says it is his. Right of way maybe? The TDC map shows it as a "Woodland Bayou Bay Access." If I were him, I would deed it to Walton County if only because of liability issues.
 
As I have driven along 30a, I've noticed many boogie boards and other assorted beach stuff to be picked up by the garbage trucks. Seems such a waste, if donated to say, Caring and Sharing, it could be sold and the money used to help local individuals that are having a difficult time. Even Freecycle.org is a good place. Keep it out of our landfills!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top