• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Rick Brown for Sheriff

New posts
Buster, that is pretty interesting information. Perhaps you should gather your facts first though. Rick Brown currently does not have any expendetures listed on his campaign finance report with the supervisor of elections for "candidacy cards" or any other form or printed material. Perhaps he was handing out one of his department issued business cards, giving someone the phone number to the Sheriff's Office, following up on a case, responding to a call for service, or doing something else related to his current position as a Deputy Sheriff? How can you make the assumption that just because you spot Deputy Brown handing someone a piece of paper that he is "campaigning" for the position of Sheriff? Mighty big assumption, isn't it.


I am not taking sides, but do want to make sure that correct information is published when dealing with campaign issues. Otherwise things do tend to get a bit twisted.

We are in the 1st Quarter reporting period for this campaign period. All contributions and expenditures are not due on a report until April 10th. So there is no public way for anyone to know what someone working on a campaign has bought since Jan 1st without asking that candidate and that candidate wanting to tell you.

I really do urge anyone that sees something or has a question to stop and ask the candidate. While I have never been asked anything on my current campaign, I have worked on many in the past and each and every candidate has always been extremely transparent in their dealings. All of it is going to come out in the end on the reports, so a candidate has no reason to try to hide anything. Hold them accountable. They need to get used to it anyway because if they do get elected, they will be moving into a public fishbowl.
 
Personal attacks and name calling are not allowed on SoWal.com and will get you banned. Please keep the discourse civil.

Thanks!
My gosh Kurt! Thank you for stepping up to the plate! I am proud to have Rick on here sharing his information and thoughts. Name calling and out right attacks distract from what could be good information. Thank you Kurt!:clap:
 
To all on SOWAL:
It is with deep regret I keep seeing a few people bash me with their postings. I also would like to thank the many people who post positive remarks, these are the ones who have done their home work and found out what I am about and what type of values and morals I have. I also believe that some of these postings were made by people who have actually met me instead of bashing me on a computer. I urge and plead with anyone who wants to meet me, please visit my website and call the cell number that is provided. The site is as follows: Members.cox.net/vote4rickbrown/
Let me clarify my cards. YES I do have election cards and YES I do hand them out when asked for one. This is not campaigning on duty. After my posting came out in the Defuniak Herald and the Walton Sun, I have been approached several times and asked if I was the same person running for office, I tell them yes. I shake their hand and let them know if they have a question they can contact me on my website. I have an obligation to ALL the citizens of Walton County to respond to their questions. I simply tell them I cannot campaign while on duty but if they contact me on my cell phone after duty I will be more than glad to answer any questions. If I am in a restaurant eating lunch and a person approaches me and asks me a question I will talk with him. I am not using official time, this is my lunch break and I am subject to “jump and run” at any time, so yes, I take my lunch and talk with people if they approach me. I will not be rude to anyone who approaches and asks a question. I will not say I can’t talk to you. I will talk to you. My card has all my information on it. My wife and I spend many hours on the road OFF DUTY talking with people and strengthening my campaign. We will continue to push with my campaign because I believe that the people of Walton County want a positive change and I can make that change for the better.
I hope this clears up any questions about my cards and campaign. I hope this will not be the last card seen in any public place. As of this date, no one has ever called me direct and asked me a question. Why?

BUSTER 38, thanks for posting the card on SOWAL. I could not have done it without you.

HYDROSTAN
You asked about the jail...That’s a tough question. If the County commissioners want to relinquish the jail back to the responsibility of the Sheriff’s Office, I would consider all of the legalities of the change and how much the change would cost. I think if all the monetary problems could be worked out, I would take the jail back. In my personal opinion the jail and the Sheriff’s Office should be together.

Someone asked me how the Sheriff felt about me running for Sheriff. He has been cordial and polite and does not seem to have a problem with my candidacy. I do not down grade, belittle or talk ill of the Sheriff.
I will not post any further comments to anyone who bashes me. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Again please contact me via my web site or email; "vote4rickbrown@cox.net". It is obvious no matter what I post, a certain few want to belittle and demean all I say.
I would like to add one more thing to this posting. I talked with several experts in this area that deal with gangs. They do not know of any "gang cells" in Walton County. This does not mean that gang members do not go through our county, they do and some may live here. There are sexual predators who live in the county and the Sheriff’s Office keeps a close watch on all of them. Just ask a convicted sexual predator if you happen to know one. I “visit” many on a monthly basis (according to department policy) to remind them that we are watching and monitoring their activities. If we had "gang cells" in our county we would be monitoring them the same way.
Just because a building, bridge or sign is spray painted, it does not mean we have a gang problem. What we have is a bunch of “wanna be” bored juveniles.

If after this posting you still have reservations about gangs in Walton County, please contact the Walton County Sheriff’s Office and ask for someone in investigations division who has expertise about gangs.
Thanks,
Rick
 
Rick, Thanks for your posting! You are making my choice much easier with every post. Your very respectful and seem to be honest in your communications. Just that alone puts you in front of some of these others that use negative tactics. Keep up the good work your on to something! Gods Speed!
 
WATCHER: I acquired the card form a friend that was approached at his table at the restaurant by Rick Brown. As I was not the one who spotted him, I did not say I spotted him. The person given the card did not want to post, so I did. ATRUE STORY.
 
Buster, that's funny... you're "friend" was approached by Rick Brown at a table in a restaurant just out of the blue but instead of reporting that on your "news flash" you report that Rick Brown was "spotted" at a gas station handing out a business card? Obviously you are not being truthful and are posting your comments for malicious purposes, although I believe you are wasting your time.

Watcher, you are awfully quick to question people and demand to know who their "experts" are. I am curious, since you seem to consider yourself an "expert" in the gang epidemic of the Sandestin resort community, what are YOUR qualifications and experience on this matter? Are you a law enforcement officer? Have you worked many cases of gang activity in this area? How much education and training do you have on gangs in general? :confused:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Buster, that's funny... you're "friend" was approached by Rick Brown at a table in a restaurant just out of the blue but instead of reporting that on your "news flash" you report that Rick Brown was "spotted" at a gas station handing out a business card? Obviously you are not being truthful and are posting your comments for malicious purposes, although I believe you are wasting your time.

Watcher, you are awfully quick to question people and demand to know who their "experts" are. I am curious, since you seem to consider yourself an "expert" in the gang epidemic of the Sandestin resort community, what are YOUR qualifications and experience on this matter? Are you a law enforcement officer? Have you worked many cases of gang activity in this area? How much education and training do you have on gangs in general? :confused:

As I can appreciate your inquiry into my personal life, I do not feel that I am the one who needs to explain my education, traning or experience. I am not the one running for sheriff... I can appreciate your defense of Rick Brown, no problem there, but he is the candidate, not me. So, please do not spin my legitimate question of where Mr. Brown has obtained his expert opinion of gangs, or the lack there of, back on me. When I put my name into the hat of candidates for sheriff, then you will be allowed to question me. In the mean time, the candidates need to answer the questions posed by the voters.:cool:
 
"Watcher
You asked me about a possible gang problem in Walton County. I personally do not think we have an actual gang problem. I think we have a small number of juveniles who would like to think they are gang members." ...

the above is the answer Mr. Brown gave to the question of "gang problems" in Walton County on Jan 30, 2008.
In more recent postings the original question was turned and a spin put on it. Mr. Brown has not ever said he did not believe there was gang "activity" in our area.
Please re-read his Jan 30th posting for his views to see that he is not dismissing any "activities" occuring in the area.
He is the man for the job.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top