• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Shark Question

New posts
Yes, I see nothing there about swimming away from the shoreline in deeper water. Not that I initially asked for legal reasons. But it is rather interesting to think there may be one. I would like to know for sure. You guys are great at finding answers and finding resources.

Another thing I forgot to ask earlier. I have some cologne that smells a bit like Tuna. Not quite Chicken of the Sea, but tuna non-the-less. Do you think it would be a bad idea to cover myself in it before I snorkle way out there. I find it is not doing me much good at Bud and Alley's.
 
I thought Cougars adored tuna? :idontno:
 
Sharks are everywhere and attacks are VERY rare

America and the world are over paranoid about sharks because of the Jaws movies, I have been dangling my legs while surfing in the waters of the world for close to 30 years. I have personally seen many sharks. They are common in these waters and attacks are rare. In the past 115 years or so there have been only 15 deaths in Florida due to shark attacks. Around 500 people in the past 115 years have been bitten and survived; most attacks occur in the murky waters of the Atlantic by small spinner sharks and surfers are usually the victims. Still, the odds of anyone being bitten by a shark ever are like the odds of being hit by lightning or bitten by a snake.

Something like 23,000 young people are killed by handguns, 40,000 by car accidents every year. Keep kayaking, swimming and surfing. I am more fearful of the guy on his cel phone swerving into my lane than sharks. :idontno:
 
I couldn't agree more, Dave. I think the chances are very very slim that anyone will get "tasted". I was speaking to the queston of swimming WITH the sharks or dropping in where tarpon are running or bait is jumping. I was out at Grayton one day when a couple of bulls were cruising past the second sandbar and a guy headed in with mask and snorkle and swam out to them. Just like trying to stay out of Publix on checkin day, I think it is best to steer clear when you know they are out there.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top