bluemtnrunner
Beach Fanatic
In February our 16 year old son came to us and said that he wanted to transfer from the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind to South Walton High School. He has been going away to boarding school every Sunday and returning home every Friday for nearly his whole life. He has been isolated in the deaf community and wants to be part of the hearing world. He wants to have a year round part time job. He wants to attend school with his brothers and be on the football and wrestling team with team with them. He has already held jobs at local restaurants. He took it upon himself to go to practices when he was in town and meet the other students and coaches. This kid is a couple of years away from being a full time, fully employed, voting, contributing member or our South Walton community and he wants to start now.
We felt that academically he was better off at FSDB. We scheduled meetings with them. We had the school counselors speak to him. But we also started doing research on this end. I called Walton Schools parent services and told them that our son was making a case for transferring, that we were trying to decide which way to go and that I needed as much information as possible to help us make an informed decision. I made it clear that while we had not decided for certain, I wanted to get the ball rolling to make sure everything was in place to make this jump at around spring break this year. I was told that I would be sent a form to release information from FSDB so that his records could be reviewed. Nothing happened. I called back a few weeks later. I was told that since I hadn't enrolled him they had not done anything. I told them we were going to enroll him in two weeks (after his spring break). We went and did a release and spoke with the deaf student services coordinator. I was told that interpreters were hard to come by but that there would be a search for one. We were told that maybe he should go school at Walton in Defuniak because there was already a deaf child who went to school there. I was actually told that it would be good because the two deaf kids would be able to keep each other company. We made it clear that our child was not going to take a bus an hour each way every day to the north of the county when his whole reason for changing schools is to be a part of his local community, to be on sports teams with his friends and brothers. Going to Defuniak every day is not in his best interest. We were told that they would try to get an interpreter and that they might have to send him to Freeport where there was a vocational track established. We were told that since it so late in the year we might have to send him to to Walton but they would see what they could do. There was absolutely no discussion of the classes he would need, his IEP, any special circumstances that could not be handled at SWHS. The only case for Freeport was that, since he was on a vocational track, that might serve him better.
Week after week we were pushed back. Let's see if we can get an interpreter, let's wait until FCAT's are done.
Finally we said, enough is enough, he starts school at SWHS on Monday. When we went to pick up enrollment papers and were sent back to another office where someone we had never met before told us that she had called her boss and that there had never been any intention of enrolling our son at SWHS. I was chastised for not showing up with his IEP (Individual Educational Plan) because I should know that the other school will drag their feet in sending it.
I immediately called the Exceptional Student Coordinator to find out what was going on. I was chastised again, faulted for not enrolling him until this late in the year, told that no interpreter was ever being sought for SWHS. Today we had a meeting with everyone involved so that there could be no mistake who had said what. I was told that a search had been done for an interpreter. (which is it?). I was told that if we had asked questions early in the year we would have been able to do more (isn't February earlier). We were told that his IEP had been received that day (yet they determined his placement yesterday). We were told that it would not ever be an option for our son to go to SWHS and if we took them the enrollment papers the principal would turn us away.
Now, I have to ask. What did I miss
I started this in February so that we could get straight answers as to what could and could not be done in this county. Please tell me how the best solution is piggy backing one child on another child's schedule simply because there is already and interpreter in place for that child. Now today we were told that both children have the same basic educational background but the determination was made before his IEP was even in their hands so excuse me for not believing.
We were told that it we would be doing him a disservice changing schools at this late date. But we tried to do it earlier and, apparently if we don't enroll him nothing will be done to prepare for his transfer.
It seems that we are left with this: If he switches schools now he will be bused to Defuniak to attend classes with another deaf child. It doesn't matter what we want, what he wants, what is in his best interest.
Next year, if an interpreter can be secured and the planets align just right and if the coordinator is feeling generous, he will be allowed to go to school in Freeport. He will be isolated much of the day in a special classroom and allowed to take some basic education courses. If he and another child share an interpreter then I guess they draw straws to determine who gets to pick their electives.
We have been told nothing more about classes he would take, what is so special about Walton High School. Nothing. We have been dictated to. We have been talked down to. We have been told shame on you for listening to your child and agreeing to remove him from the boarding school 5 hours across the state. We have been told that we do not know what is best for him, but having reviewed his records (today) that the coordinator does know what is best for him.
And just as an aside, in February I first asked, if he does go to a school in the north of the county, can he be on the football and wrestling team here? Simple question. I have asked it every time we have met. I asked again today and was told that no one could tell me that. How many times, how far in advance and in what language do these very simple questions need to be asked.
I know that education budgets are tight. I understand that not every need is going to be able to be met. I understand that it is up to us to make things happen. I do not understand the rudeness that we have experienced. The blatant statement that we needed to read the law and realize that our son does not have as many rights as we think. That we are being irresponsible for taking him out of the deaf school. Told that the deaf school is best for him. Told that he is not isolated there because he is there with other deaf people who can communicate with him and how will he ever get along in Walton county where his peers will not know how to speak to him and he will never be able to understand what they are saying to him. Thank goodness that people like Coordinator Ragle are available to help us see the error of our ways and make sure that we understand our children, their needs and what is best for them.
Have we stepped back to the turn of the century where a person with a disability is to be locked away, out of sight, out of mind? What message is this kid coming away with when everyone is pushing him back into the corner and telling him not to venture out. If one more person tells my kid that he will fail in hearing community, I am going to lose it.
We felt that academically he was better off at FSDB. We scheduled meetings with them. We had the school counselors speak to him. But we also started doing research on this end. I called Walton Schools parent services and told them that our son was making a case for transferring, that we were trying to decide which way to go and that I needed as much information as possible to help us make an informed decision. I made it clear that while we had not decided for certain, I wanted to get the ball rolling to make sure everything was in place to make this jump at around spring break this year. I was told that I would be sent a form to release information from FSDB so that his records could be reviewed. Nothing happened. I called back a few weeks later. I was told that since I hadn't enrolled him they had not done anything. I told them we were going to enroll him in two weeks (after his spring break). We went and did a release and spoke with the deaf student services coordinator. I was told that interpreters were hard to come by but that there would be a search for one. We were told that maybe he should go school at Walton in Defuniak because there was already a deaf child who went to school there. I was actually told that it would be good because the two deaf kids would be able to keep each other company. We made it clear that our child was not going to take a bus an hour each way every day to the north of the county when his whole reason for changing schools is to be a part of his local community, to be on sports teams with his friends and brothers. Going to Defuniak every day is not in his best interest. We were told that they would try to get an interpreter and that they might have to send him to Freeport where there was a vocational track established. We were told that since it so late in the year we might have to send him to to Walton but they would see what they could do. There was absolutely no discussion of the classes he would need, his IEP, any special circumstances that could not be handled at SWHS. The only case for Freeport was that, since he was on a vocational track, that might serve him better.
Week after week we were pushed back. Let's see if we can get an interpreter, let's wait until FCAT's are done.
Finally we said, enough is enough, he starts school at SWHS on Monday. When we went to pick up enrollment papers and were sent back to another office where someone we had never met before told us that she had called her boss and that there had never been any intention of enrolling our son at SWHS. I was chastised for not showing up with his IEP (Individual Educational Plan) because I should know that the other school will drag their feet in sending it.
I immediately called the Exceptional Student Coordinator to find out what was going on. I was chastised again, faulted for not enrolling him until this late in the year, told that no interpreter was ever being sought for SWHS. Today we had a meeting with everyone involved so that there could be no mistake who had said what. I was told that a search had been done for an interpreter. (which is it?). I was told that if we had asked questions early in the year we would have been able to do more (isn't February earlier). We were told that his IEP had been received that day (yet they determined his placement yesterday). We were told that it would not ever be an option for our son to go to SWHS and if we took them the enrollment papers the principal would turn us away.
Now, I have to ask. What did I miss
I started this in February so that we could get straight answers as to what could and could not be done in this county. Please tell me how the best solution is piggy backing one child on another child's schedule simply because there is already and interpreter in place for that child. Now today we were told that both children have the same basic educational background but the determination was made before his IEP was even in their hands so excuse me for not believing.We were told that it we would be doing him a disservice changing schools at this late date. But we tried to do it earlier and, apparently if we don't enroll him nothing will be done to prepare for his transfer.
It seems that we are left with this: If he switches schools now he will be bused to Defuniak to attend classes with another deaf child. It doesn't matter what we want, what he wants, what is in his best interest.
Next year, if an interpreter can be secured and the planets align just right and if the coordinator is feeling generous, he will be allowed to go to school in Freeport. He will be isolated much of the day in a special classroom and allowed to take some basic education courses. If he and another child share an interpreter then I guess they draw straws to determine who gets to pick their electives.
We have been told nothing more about classes he would take, what is so special about Walton High School. Nothing. We have been dictated to. We have been talked down to. We have been told shame on you for listening to your child and agreeing to remove him from the boarding school 5 hours across the state. We have been told that we do not know what is best for him, but having reviewed his records (today) that the coordinator does know what is best for him.
And just as an aside, in February I first asked, if he does go to a school in the north of the county, can he be on the football and wrestling team here? Simple question. I have asked it every time we have met. I asked again today and was told that no one could tell me that. How many times, how far in advance and in what language do these very simple questions need to be asked.
I know that education budgets are tight. I understand that not every need is going to be able to be met. I understand that it is up to us to make things happen. I do not understand the rudeness that we have experienced. The blatant statement that we needed to read the law and realize that our son does not have as many rights as we think. That we are being irresponsible for taking him out of the deaf school. Told that the deaf school is best for him. Told that he is not isolated there because he is there with other deaf people who can communicate with him and how will he ever get along in Walton county where his peers will not know how to speak to him and he will never be able to understand what they are saying to him. Thank goodness that people like Coordinator Ragle are available to help us see the error of our ways and make sure that we understand our children, their needs and what is best for them.
Have we stepped back to the turn of the century where a person with a disability is to be locked away, out of sight, out of mind? What message is this kid coming away with when everyone is pushing him back into the corner and telling him not to venture out. If one more person tells my kid that he will fail in hearing community, I am going to lose it.
