• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

SoWal Fire Board

New posts
Re: South Walton Fire Board

Here's a thought. Mexicans seem to work for less money than Americans, so maybe we could outsource the fire fighting jobs and the 911 operator jobs to Mexicans. You know we could cut that expense in half because they live 16 people to a one bedroom house. Sometimes you get what you pay for. You can moan and groan about spending $20,000 on vital employees and first responders who save lives and property, but in truth, you need to put the focus on wasteful spending on thing which don't boost employee moral. You never addressed my point that the FireFighters are trying to hire firefighters. There is the supply and demand. Pay enough, and you might get more willing firefighters to work in this area. I was kidding about the Mexicans, but is a real life example in our area, where we chose to go for a cheaper price of labor, over paying Americans enough to want the job. I could go on about outsourcing production to China and customer service to India. Do you really want to save a buck with our fire dept, hire some Spanish-only Mexicans to answer your emergency calls, but I want someone who speaks English to answer my call.
 
Re: South Walton Fire Board

I have never complained or stated that I thought that their salaries were to high, or that they do not earn every dime the receive. They full fill a valuable needed service. The post on their website concerning firefighters position has been there for over a year. They need to constantly keep an eye and ear to the ground for potential employees.

They do not have an employee turnover rate problem.

I think everyone has missed the issue - it's not their salary. There salaries are negoiated with the Fire Board and their union. Their salaries are a part of the budget. This action is unbudgeted and unwise from a fudiciary standpoint.

Why in the world would you drag spanish-speaking individuals and outsourcing into a discussion on the relative "due diligence" role that the fire board took in this issue.
 
Re: South Walton Fire Board

The $1,200 is the SWFD portion of my total Walton County Tax Bill's.

Believe me what I paid the School Board and BCC are higher. The school system doesn't give a "Holiday Bonus" and the BCC gives a "turkey" or I would be screaming if they decided to give them 4 turkeys this year.
 
Last edited:
Re: South Walton Fire Board

Does any one know what other fire departments get. I have been told that Destin and other fire districts in Okaloosa get a $500.00 christmas bounus. I have not found out for sure but i was told that today.
 
Re: South Walton Fire Board

Please remember these are starting salaries plus benefits.

Effective October 1, 2007 FF/EMT starting salary is $38,398 and FF/PM starting salary is $44,121 with additional incentives available.

I have never complained or stated that I thought that their salaries were to high, or that they do not earn every dime the receive....
No, you didn't complain, but your post regarding salaries was for what reason?
 
Re: South Walton Fire Board

These people should receive the max Christmas bonus that is available to give them, period. I am appalled that someone would be worried about the exact percentage increase of the Christmas bonus for fire department employees. If you don't think these people deserve a HUGE Christmas bonus, and think I should write the check for it, then YOU should suit up and volunteer with the fire department yourself. I'll give you a ham.
 
Re: South Walton Fire Board

Simply because NotDeadYet said:

"Personally, I don't see a problem here.
I think they should have given them the whole $200. They really don't get paid enough, imho."
 
Re: South Walton Fire Board

I think WileCoyote is a EX-Employee who has been posting to the news story on the Daily News Website. If you go to NWFDailynews.com and do a serch for the story and look at all of the post you will see there is one very disgruntled EX-Employee on there making remarks.
 
Re: South Walton Fire Board

I think this thread has probably played itself out. It appears most that posted had no big issue and appreciate the SWFD firemen. Coyote's point that it may not have been fiduciary responsible is a point well taken, I would think the fire board has seen, read and heard those comments and will use them as a lesson in the future. These threads are to discuss, brag and vent on issues. As far as disgruntled ex employees and the like- they probably dont deserve the response or energy to do so. Lets have a great holiday season. imho
 
Re: South Walton Fire Board

I think WileCoyote is a EX-Employee who has been posting to the news story on the Daily News Website. If you go to NWFDailynews.com and do a serch for the story and look at all of the post you will see there is one very disgruntled EX-Employee on there making remarks.

Wrong !
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top