• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Super week but a question....

New posts
Tumules: Ideally you've made the business owners more aware of what goes on in their stores and they can remind the staff to appreciate the customers (if the owners appreciate the staff it makes it easier for staff to appreciate the customers, of course). And definitely keep posting. It's true that you'll make good friends and get good advice by staying connected to this board.

I went to two places this weekend that went the extra mile: The jewelry store at Seacrest: the people were great there - I just stopped in to ask for directions and though I wasn't planning to buy anything then, they were extra kind and helpful. I'll definitely stop by there next visit to buy jewelry and would support their business. Yianni's, as always, had fabulous food and service. I was there with Cork and Magnum (her friend who has a Tom Selleck look), and the food was so good I was melting -- from appetizers to the carrot cake dessert (huge piece of cake to share with 3 people). We were the last to leave and the staff patiently waited until we left, even though it was clear they were ready to go home (once we realized that we scooted out of there). No wonder Yianni's is so successful-they were relatively busy on an off-season Monday night (doesn't hurt that a lot of other restaurants are closed on Monday nights) and it looks like Yianni's now owns the seafood store next door to the restaurant. :clap_1

Paula, I also stopped in here and was impressed with their service. One of the guys working there is from Ohio. He just moved down the week before my visit. Does anyone have their name and phone number? I lost their business card I picked up. I had my eye on something and I may request if for Mum's Day.;-)
 
From a tourist standpoint I can certainly understand needing a little respect when you are paying many thousands of dollars for a week on the beach. Please remember we are transitioning from the red neck riviera to big buck land and there is some resentment from service workers who drive from Defuniak to earn minimum wage. There is also the the 100 day to make a living in retail aspect that does not allow business owners to keep well trained competent staff much less educated professionals. I always like to say to future business owners that the best way to end up with a million dollars after your first year of business in the panhandle is to start with $2 million. It will be an interesting next few years along 30-A. I hope more tourist will post here and let us know just how we are doing.
 
I second (third? fourth?) the motion to name the award after Mr. Modica. What a delightful family. It's always a pleasure to shop there and I don't even mind paying too much for a loaf of bread (kidding!!!);-)
 
I second (third? fourth?) the motion to name the award after Mr. Modica. What a delightful family. It's always a pleasure to shop there and I don't even mind paying too much for a loaf of bread (kidding!!!);-)
You aren't buying just a loaf of bread when you shop there. ;-)
 
The last couple of years, I've noticed that every time I end up in some other touristy area like New Orleans, Orlando, or Tampa that I end up feeling very self conscious around service and retial workers because I'm worried about coming across as That Jerk or the 2%'er invading their territory.
 
Bob, though I like your idea, I use to prefer to stop by the personal lubrication section when I see the store filled with many vacationers. I thought it would get the most excitement when the shopper got home with it, or pulled it out of the buggy if they actually pay attention. However, after forgetting to replace the personal lubrication on the shelves after not needing the secret shopper gift, I got to the check out line with it. :blush: Wait, that's not mine! Now, I just grab whatever is handy and can make it really smooth if I get caught. "Sorry, thought that was my buggy." :D
 
:floor: don't temp me!!

I'll just let Little Beach toss it in, she loves to toss groceries!!:bang:
 
Paula, I also stopped in here and was impressed with their service. One of the guys working there is from Ohio. He just moved down the week before my visit. Does anyone have their name and phone number? I lost their business card I picked up. I had my eye on something and I may request if for Mum's Day.;-)

OL: I don't remember the name of the jewelry store but it looked like it had lovely jewelry (hand-made I believe) and the people there went out of their way to be helpful when I clearly wasn't going to buy anything and I looked like I had just finished cleaning the cottage and had on just a bathing suit top and capris that I had been working in (not sure my hair was combed) -- I did a lot of work on the cottages to get them ready for summer visitors so my trip to the store to ask directions for something was a very quick diversion. So, if they took such nice care of me without making any judgment, I imagine they'd take very good care of everyone!

I'm in for the Mr. Modica service award. Should it be Mr. and Mrs. Modica? the award should definitely have a SoWal look to it. And I'd nominate Yianni's in addition to the ones mentioned.
 
Tumules...so sorry you have a bad experience at my Liquor Store. Joe, the white-haired guy with whom "serviced" you has been with me many years and I can't say why he was unpleasant. Perhaps he was having a bad day or had a "tourist" trip him while he was running the beach. :idontno: I must agree he is more pleasant with the "locals" and I apologize for that. I really appreciate your stopping by my store and wish next time you come in you introduce yourself to me so I can apologize in person. All in all, I believe I, along with my other employees, are very friendly and helpful to visitors and locals alike. Just wanted to send you a "sorry."
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top