• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Super week but a question....

New posts
:floor: :floor: :floor: :welcome: Lt. Dangle :cool:
Grayt thread tumules. Just don't go back to the grumpy places unless you feel like y:cool:u have to. It happens everywhere. There are respectful folks everywhere and then there are always goin' to be someone who's had a bad day or sumpin' or simply just doesn't get customer service or even how lucky they are to be alive. Just thank God for people who do smile and try to be friendly. Your sweet little smile could light up someone's day. Why not spread the :wub: :wub: :wub: ? Life's too short. :roll:
It definitely takes a special personality to deal with vacationers all day I'm sure, especially the ones who ain't as nice as you all, tumules and Lt. Dangle. :razz: Really some vacationers are just flat out rude, like they never left home or somethin'. Like the girl in the large group with adults, sitting next to us while we're eating our grits one morning by the beach, blew her nose than in her loud Michigan accent(sorry Michiganiites, but it was an outdoor place and that's what their tag said), described the color of her snot and whether she needed friggin' antibx or not. :popcorn: :puke: I was just glad they weren't renting my house. Disrespectful yukyheads.They think its funny to ruin other peoples breakfast with snot talk :twisted: I bet they leave canyons in the beach for people and turtles to break thier neck in too :confused:
Tumules, You really don't sound uncaring. I think I woulda had to ask the waiter if everything was ok with our bill if he followed me out to the dang parking lot.:idontno: :idontno: Why didn't any of ya'll say anything to him?:blush: Didn't you say his service was fine?
 
Last edited:
go to BML and know Joe well. I think he is one of the many different faces of BMB and I find him to be hilarious, just hard to get to know.:shock: Maybe venter isn"t trying hard enough to find that vibe he gets in his world, and looks to the beach to make life better. Life at the beach is pretty darn good huh? Joe spoke to me today and, as usual, was very friendly. Hey likkergirl, give him a raise!:!:
 
I am a single woman who travels to SoWal by myself. I am probably the least common type of tourist since SoWal caters to vacationing families.

Not always, but sometimes I am treated with either suspicion or sub-standard service because I am a single woman.

Before the days of Expedia.com, I walked into a mom and pop hotel looking for a room. The front desk woman was caught off guard at the idea of me wanting a room because I was alone. First, she interrogated me:

Her: "What do you do for a living?"

Me: "I am a music teacher."

Her: "What are you here for?"

Me: "It's Spring Break and I need some R&R."

Her: "Are you sure you will be the only one in the room?"

Me: "Uh, Yes. '?' "

I think she thought I was a prostitute or a drug dealer. With her lips pursed, she hesitantly gave me a room. It didn't cross my mind that it might be unusual for a single woman to ask for a hotel room.


I have received poor service in a few restaurants even though I was friendly, smiled, and said please and thank you. It is assumed that I know nothing about tipping because I am a woman and *tipping is a man's job.* (In some sub-cultures it is.)

The waitstaff attitude is: "I have you figured out, lady: I will work my butt off for you, but you'll just leave a scrawny tip -- maybe 15%, but probably not even that because women know nothing about tipping. I would rather spend my energy on big families with the man and wife wearing Tommy Bahama clothes because he has money and knows what to do with it."

Sure enough, I watch as their glasses stay full but not mine, bread is on their table but not mine, they get eye contact, and their food is served first, although I was seated first.

If I am treated decently, my tips base at 20% including the tax.
If I am treated with hospitality, I tip at 25% + including tax.
If there is a bar, I will sit there so as not to take up a whole table.

I noticed that Modica Market cashiers are always friendly, and some college student waitpersons at B&A have treated me very well! :-)
 
Tupelo Honey, go back and re-read that lengthy post with some semblance of an open mind ... then ask yourself if there's any doubt as to why you are single (whether married or simply accompanied). You're looking for bad vibes and they're being drawn to you as a result of it. If you believe the world discriminates against you it will. If you believe the world is a character-filled village, it will be that, too. Can't help but wonder if you reach out and try to connect with the people you encounter or just sit back and bask in your self-fulfilling paranoia. Enjoy your half-empty basket of bread, your half-empty glass of iced-tea and your half-emptyoutlook on life. Please, please don't spread your cancerous outlook at a wonderful place like the beach -- especially SoWal. I'll send up a prayer for you this A.M. and send some positive vibes your way. Perhaps today's Sunday will be a SunnyDay for you. Might be a nice change, TH ...
 
um, marriage isn't nor should it be an across-the-board goal. It's a choice, and one that many more people should weigh a little heavier than they currently do. That was a fairly judgmental statement made about someone whose lifestyle and choices in life cannot be known to any of us.

Though I too agree the original post seemed full of black cloud assumptions, more assuming doesn't help. And if you truly want to pray for someone, announcing it passive-aggressively or self-righteously just seems so disingenuous and un-Christian like. Just do it.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top