• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

The Seaside Times

New posts
Motorcycle mama wants to know if your redesign includes InDesign... and do you need any input?
 
Hey Motorcycle Mama!

Email me at editor@seasidefl.com and we'll talk re-design. We are planning on changing several things in 2007.

I'm excited about the new look.

Again - any and all suggestions are welcome.

By the by - 30AGay - would you be interested in writing? Maybe submit some "clean" satire???
 
Thanks for the offer for me to send a recipe Sunny. I think people will want local recipes (mine are from the north and some from Italy -- though I'll test out the limoncello cream recipe I have a few more times and that would be worthy of the Seaside Times for sure) from local restaurants ideally. I love trying recipes from the local areas that we visit because it helps us bring a taste of the place home with us.
 
Here?s one to get you started?.

Census shows high number of minorities in Seaside

Walton County is not known as a place of great ethnic diversity. In fact, government statistics indicate that the county is 89.7% Caucasian. The beaches of south Walton come under even greater scrutiny as most observers note the lack of any racial minorities.

So it came as a great shock to census takers when the town of Seaside reported a ?non-white? population of 41.2%.

?We looked at the data and thought that this just can?t be right?, said Randy Baker of CensusUSA, a company hired by the state to survey population trends within Florida.

It turns out that Seaside was counting the overly sun burnt Pink tourists as ?non-white?.

?It?s fitting, actually. I mean in a town known for its pastel colored houses, why not have pastel colored minorities??, said Baker.

No Seaside representatives were available for comment on this issue. However, town leaders confirm that plans are underway to modify Seaside?s strict town code to allow for the creation of a New Urbanism Ghetto, which will be characterized by colorful crack houses and a Frank Gehry designed junkyard.
:clap_1: :rolling: :floor: :funn:
 
here are a few questions regarding the Seaside Times:

Can people subscribe to an online version of the Seaside Times, as they can with the Walton Sun? I'd subscribe to the Seaside Times even though our places aren't at Seaside if it felt more like a paper that covered all of 30A.

Personally, I like stories about the history of South Walton, as well as how it's changing over the years. Recipes from local restaurants or well known locals would be funn too (e.g. the grits with quail at Cafe 30A, something from Modica Market, something from the Great Southern).

great suggestions. It would be great to see Seaside Times be more community oriented, expanding beyond its borders and featuring local folks, history, tales, schools, artists, etc. Seaside is very much part of the whole community and it would be great to see that reflected in the Times. I've often thought the Times looked like a giant ad for itself, but I guess it is.

congrats Susan!!! and good luck!
 
Hey Motorcycle Mama!

Email me at editor@seasidefl.com and we'll talk re-design. We are planning on changing several things in 2007.

I'm excited about the new look.

Again - any and all suggestions are welcome.

By the by - 30AGay - would you be interested in writing? Maybe submit some "clean" satire???

You know he is already banned from 30gAy radio, and he was not even hired yet. :funn:
 
great suggestions. It would be great to see Seaside Times be more community oriented, expanding beyond its borders and featuring local folks, history, tales, schools, artists, etc. Seaside is very much part of the whole community and it would be great to see that reflected in the Times. I've often thought the Times looked like a giant ad for itself, but I guess it is.

congrats Susan!!! and good luck!

I definitely agree that the Seaside Press could reflect more of SoWal and shape more of SoWal. I think that SoWal is growing fast right now so everyone, including at Seaside, on 30A is affected by whatever happens on 30A. So, the more we think about shaping how the whole community is perceived and how we want people to think of themselves (relaxed, environmentally focused, safe drivers, considerate, sporty, healthy, artsy, grateful, family-oriented, child-friendly, romantic, friendship-focused, good schools, inviting diversity, tourist friendly, snowbird friendly, spa-ish, etc.), the more likely SoWal will reflect that. The Seaside Press could be an important influence on SoWal in general (as I'm sure it has been).
 
By the by - 30AGay - would you be interested in writing? Maybe submit some "clean" satire???

Dear Miss Sunny,

I think I will stick to the sullied satire myself. Thank you for you kind offer; if you ever feel the need to shake things up, you know ?put a clenched cheek crease in those khaki covered Seaside rears, you just let me know.:roll:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top