• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

things to do with 8 & 10 year old?

New posts
When I was that age my parents take us to the Panama City Pier at night and we would watch people fish for sharks.
 
We are coming to the area and would like info on things to do with a 10yr old and 8 yr old.
teabag:wave:

Buy 2 skim boards at a local surf shop and head to Grayton...they will LOVE it. My son was 9 when this was taken. He did this for hours every day we were there.
PICT1634.JPG
 
Last edited:
No, PLEASE do not do this! :eek:

It is sea turtle nesting season right now, use only flashlights with red film over them that are turtle friendly.

Forget the flash light alltogether. go to the beach and wait 5 minutes, your eyes will adjust, it's even easier during a full moon.

There is also a painting workshop in the cottages at the Village of South Walton, costs $35 and the kids get to keep the 8x10 canvas they paint.
 
OK, you got me thinking.

Canoing on the Blackwater River, an easy trip with lots of places to stop and have a picnic. There are several places to rent canoes, they drive upstream and you float back to their base. Just the drive to the put-in spot is worth the trip, you will see all kinds of wildlife, wild turkeys, deer ...

http://www.blackwatercanoe.com/

Florida Caverns State Park near Marianna. It's nice and cool, a great escape from the Summer heat.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/floridacaverns/

Take them to a marina where they can see the fishing boats come in.

Big Kahuna’s Water Park in Destin. www.bigkahunas.com

We took our kids on a winery tour up near De Funiak Springs. The tour was fun but the wine wasn't so good.

Your kids might be a little young, but on a lonely back road they can sit in your lap and drive the car. It's probably going to cause a lot of folks on this forum heartburn, but it's one of the things I remember being a lot of fun. I even remember the car I first was able to drive, a 1953 Hudson Jet.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/1953-1954-hudson-jet-3.jpg
 
Last edited:
Black Water is awesome! So is Wakulla Springs.

and I guess walking on the beach at night is out. I did forget about the baby turtles. I was reminiscing of when I was a 10 yr. old and what we used to do. There was nothing more educational about the ocean than walking on the beach at night. I doubt anyone had a clue about the baby turtles back then.

Another valuable lesson learned! :wave:
.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Black Water is awesome! So is Wakulla Springs.

and I guess walking on the beach at night is out. I did forget about the baby turtles. I was reminiscing of when I was a 10 yr. old and what we used to do. There was nothing more educational about the ocean than walking on the beach at night. I doubt anyone had a clue about the baby turtles back then.

Another valuable lesson learned! :wave:


.

True. We used to go to the Outerbanks and our most fun at night was taking a big ole flashlight down to the beach to scare the ghost crabs. Or maybe we were the ones that were scared. :biggrin:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top