• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Time for some to drop out...

New posts

sweetgal

Beach Comber
We are so close to the primary in the Sheriffs election. I have my choice as many of you on here may have read. I personally feel k that maybe those running should look at their numbers(money,votes etc) , sit back and think. Do I really stand a chance at winning this, or am I just going to sway the votes again and possibly put somone in who doesnt belong? There are alot of people in the County counting on a change. We may not all agree on who we want in the office, but we can all agree that not everyone is going to bring in the votes like the others. Just look at last years election. There are leaders in this race, and there are others that need to step aside, and back those leaders, so we can push forward this county into a positive direction. I wish you all nothing but the best. I wish that those running would just take a moment and think about their chances, those lives effected. Think about how the few votes you may get could sway that vote in August. Good luck to you all.:blush:
 
I don't see the point in anyone dropping out now. The ballots have already been put together, so they'll be on there regardless and most people will vote based on the ballot, not based on who they heard is still in the race.
 
Thats true, but if there is an announcement that someone is dropping from the race, then that means that person can no longer be voted for. Dont you recall the last election. The same thing happened that COULD happen this time. Unless you want the current Sheriff in office again for another 4 years then this wont be a good thing. More people running, more votes that are swayed, and he could be right back in. Thats why Josh Sconiers dropped out. Others should follow suit, to give the top runners a better chance at making a differance in our county.
 
Thats true, but if there is an announcement that someone is dropping from the race, then that means that person can no longer be voted for. Dont you recall the last election. The same thing happened that COULD happen this time. Unless you want the current Sheriff in office again for another 4 years then this wont be a good thing. More people running, more votes that are swayed, and he could be right back in. Thats why Josh Sconiers dropped out. Others should follow suit, to give the top runners a better chance at making a differance in our county.


With all due respect, it is pretty arrogant to demand someone exit a race they have a right to be in. I recently read an editorial in the Tallahassee newspaper bemoaning the lack of candidates in local races and the need for more civic responsibility on individual's parts to offer their services to their fellow citizens. Anyone who has ever ran for public office will testify that it is a grueling experience and not for the faint of heart. So, while I may not agree with their stance on the issues or support their candidacy, I applaud each candidate for having the care for their civic duty to run. And further, I suggest that talk that they should retire from a race in order to achieve your desired result is not very long sighted from a civic point of view. If you want Johnson out of office, carefully pick the candidate that most closely matches what you want in a Sheriff and then do what you can (money, in-kind, talking to people, etc) to help that candidate win. That approach will garner more respect than trying to shame people out of exercising their constitutional right to seek office.:bang::bang::bang:

By the way, I want Johnson out of office as much as you I think.:clap::clap::clap:
 
Ballots

That is unfortunate if the ballots are printed. I agree that several of the candidates should do what is right for the people and throw their support to one of the front runners. The possibility of Johnson winning re-election is still there. The better odds that the two leading candidates get most of the votes will prevent R.J. from squeeking by by a small percent. I have grown more comfortable that his time is just about up, but stranger things have happened...I am still concerned as members of the department are.

I know several (WCSO Members) have begun to voice their opinions privately to certain citizens and I really think that more need to "come out" publicly and give the voters a clear picture that new leadership is needed. If Johnson gets re-elected, you'll have no one to blame but yourselves. I know this is difficult but if you speak to the right people, R.J. would be very foolish to try to punish you. Just a thought...:idontno:
 
So then, why doesn't everyone just spend their time spreading the knowledge about Mr. Johnson's issues... making sure your fellow constituents are aware of the problems and unlikely to vote for him, instead of trying to talk other people into dropping out? At this point, only people who don't have a clue about all the problems are actually going to vote for him (minus a few who just don't care), so go educate them.
 
With all due respect, it is pretty arrogant to demand someone exit a race they have a right to be in. I recently read an editorial in the Tallahassee newspaper bemoaning the lack of candidates in local races and the need for more civic responsibility on individual's parts to offer their services to their fellow citizens. Anyone who has ever ran for public office will testify that it is a grueling experience and not for the faint of heart. So, while I may not agree with their stance on the issues or support their candidacy, I applaud each candidate for having the care for their civic duty to run. And further, I suggest that talk that they should retire from a race in order to achieve your desired result is not very long sighted from a civic point of view. If you want Johnson out of office, carefully pick the candidate that most closely matches what you want in a Sheriff and then do what you can (money, in-kind, talking to people, etc) to help that candidate win. That approach will garner more respect than trying to shame people out of exercising their constitutional right to seek office.:bang::bang::bang:

By the way, I want Johnson out of office as much as you I think.:clap::clap::clap:


Yeah like the carefully picked last election. I was not rude or arrogant in my posting. If you look at the numbers when the race is over there are going to be some and I did not even mention names that are not going to pull in votes. The problem is so many run, heck one guy doesnt even live in this county and is running, but no one seems to have a problem with that either. I too think its great that they all are running, but some are going to stand a better chance than others, and I dont want to see what happened durning the last election where they swayed the votes. There were so many in that election that it sent him right back in. People dont turn out in this county to vote like they should, so when you have 9 people running on one ticket it does make a differance. If they want a change for the better, and thats their honest intention they could work together to accomplish that and keep him from getting back in there. But they all are thinking "I am going to win" and thats not reality.
 
That is unfortunate if the ballots are printed. I agree that several of the candidates should do what is right for the people and throw their support to one of the front runners. The possibility of Johnson winning re-election is still there. The better odds that the two leading candidates get most of the votes will prevent R.J. from squeeking by by a small percent. I have grown more comfortable that his time is just about up, but stranger things have happened...I am still concerned as members of the department are.

I know several (WCSO Members) have begun to voice their opinions privately to certain citizens and I really think that more need to "come out" publicly and give the voters a clear picture that new leadership is needed. If Johnson gets re-elected, you'll have no one to blame but yourselves. I know this is difficult but if you speak to the right people, R.J. would be very foolish to try to punish you. Just a thought...:idontno:

Thats all I was saying. I am not saying one is better than the other, or even vote for whom I believe in. I just dont want what happened last year to happen again. Theres not a big voters turn out in this county and that in itself is a shame. I wouldnt hold my breath on any of the officers to come out and voice their opinions. I hear they are all so job scared durning this time of year, that it would make you all open your eyes, and vote.:pissed:
 
I agree with you Sweetgal.

As for the notion that spreading info on the problems with Johnson will actually work, it is utterly laughable. We all know the problems.

Like it or not, there are some (many?) people who will look at that as the opponents of the sheriff just "trying to pick on/get poor ol Ralph". I was here for the 04 election. I heard that quite a bit, and from people who should have known better. We all know how that turned out.

The other issue that Sweetgal speaks of is very real. It is simple numbers. An incumbent, even one as disliked as Johnson, has an advantage with name recognition and constituent support, and will get between 1/4 and 1/3 of the vote in a primary election. IF there are 8000 votes, thats 2000 for Ralph. Do the math - thats about 250 votes short of his total last time, and I believe it would still have won that election.

Also, all the dislike for Johnson is a double-edged sword. Yes, it gives people a reason to vote against him. But it also causes apathy. If we focus on the fact he "can't" get reelected, we are going to wake up and find a third term of this current sherrif. If you want change, work for it, not against. By having multiple candidates, some of these men are working against defeating the sheriff.
 
With the number of candidates and their opinions on many serious issues being so closely aligned may I offer my scenerio. Johnson will win the Republican primary. There is only one Democrat candidate. The new sheriff in November will be a Democrat. Another reason for non partisan races below the state level.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top